Reasons to be grateful for the current season

With over £1.2M in the bank from members like me (currently paying £18.72 and £11.25pm to C1872) which is not helping our club at all, and with the current shenanigans with the board of C1872, I think I can be forgiven if I scoff at your suggestion.

Perhaps instead of snide comments you can raise the case for the defence and point out why he is the man to take us forward, and also what you have seen from him so far in his 9 games to give you any confidence in his ability that a lot of Bears are not seeing?

It is not un-staunch to point out on a fans message board that if the manager has the cv of a dud, gets his teams to play like a dud, gets the results of a dud, then perhaps, and only perhaps, he is a dud. I truly hope i'm wrong, (and it has happened many times before so there is evidence to back it up!) but I have a bad feeling about it. Some quality signings will lift the place (and probably sell a few more ST's) and give us all a bit of belief again, but this has been a truly horrible season from pretty much the first kick of the ball to seemingly the last.

It wasn't a snide comment and I'll apologise if the tone suggested that. I believe in the objective of Club 1872 myself so I am seriously promoting it as a way of eventually giving the fans a greater say in the running of the club. Yes there are many material problems, but I'll retain my optimism that these will be sorted out.

As for the current manager, I am not defending him, nor am I criticising him. The reason for that is because he has inherited a team which is just not good enough. I think he's done a reasonable job with the players he has, and the results since he took over reflect that. I'm also glad that he's promoting the youth players into the team. The last few games of the season have meant nothing and it makes sense for him to play these younger players in order to properly assess them. Obviously I'd rather we won against Aberdeen but longer term that game just didn't matter. What matters more is next season and being ready for it. I think we can all judge him better after he's had the chance to clear out those players with weak mentalities, and brought in his own players. That's why I suggested you were being unfair as I think that only then can he be properly judged. We disagree, but that's fine.

Here's my problem Gaffer, a number of people are saying it's the players fault, he's inherited the players and they're not good enough. Well, those are the players we've got and part of his job is to craft a team from them. We won't have much more money next season so the chances are any players who leave will be replaced by players on similar salaries, so there's a good chance they'll be of a similar quality. What we need just now is a manager who can make a silk purse from a sow's ear. There aren't too many of them about unfortunately and I'm far from sure Pedro is one of them.

Anyway, to the point of the thread.

It's nice to be back in the top flight, we shouldn't take that for granted.

Qualifying for European football

I can't think of any others.

Here's my problem Gaffer, a number of people are saying it's the players fault, he's inherited the players and they're not good enough. Well, those are the players we've got and part of his job is to craft a team from them. We won't have much more money next season so the chances are any players who leave will be replaced by players on similar salaries, so there's a good chance they'll be of a similar quality. What we need just now is a manager who can make a silk purse from a sow's ear. There aren't too many of them about unfortunately and I'm far from sure Pedro is one of them.

Anyway, to the point of the thread.

It's nice to be back in the top flight, we shouldn't take that for granted.

Qualifying for European football

I can't think of any others.

So, he's being criticised because he's not the miracle worker we'd like him to be? I too have doubts, as I would about any new manager. All I'm saying is that we should be fair and give him time. I think we've got too many supporters with unrealistic expectations and too little patience. It's going to be a long and difficult road for all of us, but it's going to be a whole lot worse for those that think we could be doing much better at the moment. There's a whole lot of disappointment for them on the horizon.

There is one additional plus from this season however. We now know just how far behind Celtic we are. Many got carried away with the semi final win last year, but there's no question of the gap. That should focus the minds of everyone involved in the club, and perhaps help manage expectations of the support.

So, he's being criticised because he's not the miracle worker we'd like him to be? I too have doubts, as I would about any new manager. All I'm saying is that we should be fair and give him time. I think we've got too many supporters with unrealistic expectations and too little patience. It's going to be a long and difficult road for all of us, but it's going to be a whole lot worse for those that think we could be doing much better at the moment. There's a whole lot of disappointment for them on the horizon.

There is one additional plus from this season however. We now know just how far behind Celtic we are. Many got carried away with the semi final win last year, but there's no question of the gap. That should focus the minds of everyone involved in the club, and perhaps help manage expectations of the support.

It's the difference between religion and science. Some of us are looking for evidence but we're being offered faith. It's not a lack of patience that afflicts me it's a lack of evidence.

For the foreseeable future we're going to have less money to spend on players, both salaries and transfer fees, than Celtic. So we're going to have poorer players than them overall, that's the reality we need to work in. We need a manager who can create incredible team spirit and who can inspire that team to a higher level of performance than they'd otherwise produce. That's the type of manager we need. McLeish managed that, Smith managed that, finding someone who can do that isn't beyond us. I've seen nothing from PC yet to suggest he can. I hope I'm wrong.

This season might still yield some good, at least off the field of play. The Board is apparently working on getting the house in order, albeit slowly and not exactly transparent to all who want to know. Perhaps we see some progress on the SD frontier, and then we might finally get Whyte jailed / fined / whatever and hopefully win the EBT stuff, the verdict of which should be out in the not too distant future.

Should OldCo/BDO win the EBT thing, it will be a right kick in the teeth for the mhedia, who relentlessly told us how bad we are all round, just look at the glee in the DR today regarding our loss against the Sheep. How grand it will feel when we lift our next trophy!

well we broke even while paying millions for total dross

so with no waste we may well stand a chance long term

the problem and its a huge one is every pound HAS to be effective