Jock Stein was left in tears after his initial Celtic managerial hopes were scuppered

because he was Protestant, a new BBC Lisbon Lions documentary reveals.

In archive footage about his European Cup winning*team - to be shown next week - Stein opens up on how his first Parkhead spell ended.

JOCK STEIN’s managerial ambitions were initially dashed at Celtic because he was a Protestant.

In archive footage to be shown in BBC Scotland documentary Glasgow 1967: The Lisbon Lions, the Parkhead legend opens up on how his first spell at the club ended.

Stein, who passed away in 1985, was appointed as Celtic reserves manager in 1957.

But his ambitions to eventually become manager were brought to a crushing halt after a discussion with*then chairman Robert Kelly.

In the programme that airs next week,*Stein says: “I was a non-Catholic.“So Robert Kelly thought I had gone as far as I would expect to go at a club like Celtic.”

Jimmy Conway – a former Celtic reserve player – recalls when Stein told him he would be leaving the club.

He said: “The chairman had told him he couldn’t go any further at the club because of his religion.“He really was upset and there were tears. He was very, very upset because he loved the club.”

Stein was given his first job as a manager at Dunfermline in 1960.

He returned to Celtic in 1965, where he went on to win more than 30 trophies – including the European Cup in 1967.

The Hoops icon died at the age of 62 after suffering a heart attack during Scotland’s World Cup qualifier against Wales in 1985.

Viewers of the documentary will also hear Stevie Chalmers’ life was saved in 1955 after being told he had just THREE weeks to live.

While Willie Wallace reveals that the players were able to have a small glass of whisky before games.

*Glasgow 1967: The Lisbon Lions will be shown on BBC One Scotland on May 24 at 9pm.*UK viewers can also watch the documentary on BBC One at 11.15pm on May 24.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/1025245/jock-stein-celtic-protestant/?CMP=Spklr-_-Editorial-_-ScottishSun-_-Sport-_-FBLink-_-Statement-_-TWITTER%27%AC

Yet Rangers are the only sectarian club.

Funnily enough, I seen that they are holding a Lisbon Lions celebratory mass. Why is it that Rangers are always tarred with the sectarian brush yet clearly there is only one club that constantly brings religion to the table?

Latterly, if memory serves, Stein was treated quite shabbily by rasellik board, insultingly being offered the post of Pools Manager, or something similar. A less than classy way to treat a 'legend'.

I have often wondered if this was because he was, as they say, a non-cafflick, or because he was the guy who 'sacked' Torbett (despite their being no connection between

rasellik and rasellik boys' club whatsoever, no sir).

Edited by Uilleam

Latterly, if memory serves, Stein was treated quite shabbily by rasellik board, insultingly being offered the post of Pools Manager, or something similar. A less than classy way to treat a 'legend'.

I have often wondered if this was because he was, as they say, a non-cafflick, or because he was the guy who 'sacked' Torbett (despite their being no connection between

rasellik and rasellik boys' club whatsoever, no sir).

They didnt allow non catholics on the board.

They didnt allow non catholics on the board.

this is correct. After his second most successful spell with them (European Cup etc.) there was talk of making him a director but it didn't happen because non catholics were not allowed on the board

this is correct. After his second most successful spell with them (European Cup etc.) there was talk of making him a director but it didn't happen because non catholics were not allowed on the board

Because they see themselves as an Irish Catholic football club. Always have done & always will be.

It is whether they should be allowed to promote & antagonise the rest of us with this identity where I have a problem with them.

And there's no point in anyone telling them to go back to where they came from. The real Irish don't want them.

Edited by RANGERRAB