I wonder if there are any plans to narrow Edmiston Drive to just two lanes from the four that exist today. Personally I'd like the section at the Stadium closed off altogether and turned into a pedestrian area.

Thought I'd share this little bit of info about Edmiston Drive.

We are all familiar with this old aerial photograph of Ibrox Park taken in the 1920's...

2cmk65c.jpg

Looking at it one would assume Edmiston Drive connects with Broomloan Road...however a closer look at the image reveals it doesn't actually...

oi52y9.jpg

That's not a road if you follow it up to football pitch.

At some stage, after the Archibald Leitch stand was built Edmiston Drive was extended on to Broomloan Road, as can be seen in this old photo...

2vtnxqx.jpg

It looks like a single file road, but it doesn't quite prove it runs all the way to Broomloan Road, although it's very possible. The tenements on the right are gone now.

Returning to my 1st pic, on close-up you can see those tenements - I've outlined the ones that no longer exist...(Copland Rd & Merrick Gardens) these were demolished to make way for the new dual carriageway..., when, I'm not sure!

ao5raf.jpg

Today, in this photo you see the ends of the tenements, on the left Copland Road (practically hidden by a giant tree) and on the right Merrick Gardens.

2uxzt7c.jpg

In the following images, the top one shows a map from 1930 in comparison to today, you can see that Edmiston Drive has been extended on to Paisley Road West, also that the 1930 map shows Edmiston Drive stops at the end of the football pitch.

wjdmqc.jpg

Pity they couldn't turn the clock back so as we could have our own pedestrianised area (Fan-zone).

Edited by Bearman
Updating pics

Not sure if its been covered on GN, but there are moves afoot with regards to developing the footprint of the stadium. One initiative being led by the club itself, details of which are sketchy. And a second initiative, under the guides of a CIC set up under the name Edmiston Drive (I think) which involves Marshall and the team from the Louden. Details on this are also sketchy but some suggestions that plans are nearing completion and my be announced later in the summer.

Good news if it all materialises, and long overdue.