Premier League 17/18

This is where Scott and I will do battle each week with our predictions - feel free to join in.

Looking forward to the most entertaining league in the world kicking off this Friday - note I say most entertaining and not the best league purely because its not the best standard wise. Yet I dont think I will be watching too many West Brom v Stoke matches.

I usually have a flutter on Arsenal to win the title every year - last season was the first time I didnt and I slapped my well earned sponds on Man Utd which was even worse.

The runners and riders:

Arsenal - Just havent done enough in the transfer market again. They need a solid midfielder and have dabbled too much talk about Tomas Lemar and look to miss out on him. I worry for the Gooners this season but will still be hoping they win the league.

Chelsea - Very thin squad and losing Costa bullying defences is a huge loss. They need at least 3 players to compete. I think they will get more found out this season and Conte may not last the full year. If they sign a few players things may be different.

Everton - Koeman has really gone for it and I like the look of Everton. Its about time they stepped up to the plate. They have no excuses this season. They have a strong team and have spend well.

Man Utd - Jose usually wins the league in his second season. He has signed Matic which is supposed to free up Pogba but the frenchman cruised the italian league and not this division. I am 50/50 on Utd, they will either blast the league ugly style or be the same as last year. They have become unlikeable again due to Mourinho.

Man City - Spend silly money and have unreal players going forward but that doesnt guarantee wins. Kompany is still their best centre half yet cant prove his fitness. There is still holes at the back their but their options of forwards and midfielders is scary. A big season for Pep. Again - like Jose isnt very likeable and he has a lot to prove this season. He won domestic league in germany which isnt hard with that Bayern team but he didnt do anything in Europe with them.

Liverpool - I fancy them to pull off a shock purely because of the Klopp factor. He gets 10-20% extra out of players and installs a wonderful harmony. They are the most exciting team going forward. Mane is the most unplayable player in the league and can ruin teams. If Coutinho stays then they could win the title. They still need to add Van Dijk at the back though.

Tottenham - The Wembley factor will ruin them. They will struggle to win there. They have a solid XI but like Chelsea have no depth and they wont perform in Europe. They need at least 3 new additions to compete in the CL. They didnt show up last season.

Im going to stick the neck out and have a flutter on Liverpool to win the league but hope im wrong.

Edited by Gribz

Can't disagree with most of that except the bit about West Brom. Throstles are always watchable but I fear they've over achieved the last couple of seasons and may be spiralling down.

'Spurs had their best chance last year. Shame they couldn't quite manage it. Four or five years before they will challenge again.

Arsenal could be fourth.

City need some professional defenders.

'Pool will flatter to deceive - yet again.

Don't write off Chelsea but it is with the utmost regret that I make the following announcement. United will win it - aaaarrrrgh!

Yes WBA arent a bad side and Id have them down for mid table easily.

Looking forward to seeing West Ham this year. Much made of Spurs playing at Wembley but the same can be said for West Ham, if they settle into the London stadium then they could be the surprise package. Hart and Zabaleta are good signings.

Newcastle are the ones who could struggle, their transfer business has been poor. I expected them to be heavy spenders getting some big names in under Rafa.

Cant see Huddersfield staying up, they will probably go back down along with Brighton. But its tough to call the 3rd team. Will be a battle between Swansea, Burnley and Watford.

For the opening games:

Friday

Arsenal 2-0 Leicester

Saturday

Watford 0-1 Liverpool

Chelsea 2-0 Burnley

Crystal Palace 2-0 Huddersfield

Everton 2-1 Stoke

Southampton 1-1 Swansea

West Brom 1-0 Bournemouth

Brighton 0-3 Man City

Sunday

Newcastle 1-2 Tottenham

Man Utd 0-0 West Ham

Edited by Gribz

Arsenal 1-0 Leicester

Watford 0-3 Liverpool

Chelsea 4-0 Clarets

Palace 3-0 Town

Everton 1-1 Stoke

Southampton 2-0 Swans

West Brom 1-2 Bournemouth

Brighton 0-5 Man City

Magpies 1-3 'Spurs

United 3-0 Hammers

I like a bit of early season exhuberance.

I forgot about Everton yesterday. Who will score their goals? Sixth place for them ahead of 'Spurs behind United, Chelsea, City, Arsenal, 'Pool.

And going down: Huddersfield, Swansea and (sensation!) the Baggies. Hope I'm wrong in that one.

The teams I would personally relegate are Brighton, Watford and Palace with apologies to their fans for my arrogance these are not proper teams. Bring up Wolves, Wednesday and Villa and give the League a proper look to it. Folk readng this under the age of sixty will reckon I'm a raving lunatic. Who's to say they're wrong?

Sunday

Newcastle 1-2 Tottenham

Man Utd 0-0 West Ham

Edited by Scott7

A few left field scores but you did well last season so you may be right.

On paper having Leeds, Villa, Sheff Wed, Forest in the top flight and maybe Derby and Wolves are more attractive than Burnley, Bournemouth, Brighton, Huddersfield etc but teams have to earn the right to be in the top flight.

As promised.

Arsenal 2-1 Leicester

Watford 0-3 Liverpool

Chelsea 2-0 Burnley

Crystal Palace 2-2 Huddersfield

Everton 0-1 Stoke

Southampton 1-1 Swansea

West Brom 1-3 Bournemouth

Brighton 1-4 Man City

Newcastle 1-3 Tottenham

Man Utd 1-0 West Ham

The usual suspects to win, along with a shock home defeat for Everton.

Edit: Man City for me to race away with the title, I've watched a couple of their pre-season games and they look very dangerous, followed by Liverpool, Man U with Spurs or Arsenal 4th (depends on how Spurs adjust to playing at Wembley). I have a soft spot for Bournemouth and think they will surprise a few this season.

Edited by Bearman

The usual suspects to win, along with a shock home defeat for Everton.

I actually fancy that also despite putting Everton down for a win. It will cost me 120 bucks if they do as they are on my 4 fold.