Rooney retires from international football

I feel Rooney has made the right decision at the right time. He's at a point where little niggling knocks will become more common and take longer to shake off. He has to focus entirely on Everton though in saying that if it were me I would have in the back of my mind that if I hit a rich vein of form and one last chance at a world cup crops up and they come begging me to go along then I might reconsider.

I don't often disagree with you but that is simply horseshit.

One thing that Rooney could NEVER be accused of is being a bottler - if he was then he had ample opportunity at multiple WC's and Euro's.

In fact, I think you are at it on this one.

Missed a few of those too. Tbh i was just having a laugh.

Big fan of rooney and a bit surprised he didnt try for the cap record.

Missed a few of those too. Tbh i was just having a laugh.

Big fan of rooney and a bit surprised he didnt try for the cap record.

Hard to know with you GS :D

Yeah, surprised he never went for the record too. His purple patch of form may be the reason behind it. Playing well without pressure of England.

Maybe because he had never been called up ???

You dont wait until you get a call up to retire. What good does that do for the managers planning for a world cup.

Rooney's timing is good for him and him only. He may well have thought about it for a while but its looking like he put himself first.

But Southgate is shooting himself in the foot anyway. Some of his selections are awful and he is another FA puppet. 4 goalkeepers for a match against Malta and one of them is the out of favour Joe Hart when Forster is clearly the better keeper doesnt make it.

He has selected Aaron Cresswell who is a fine left back but hasnt kicked a ball for West Ham this season.

I always felt though he struggled with the expectation of the English media to compare him to Ronaldo and Messi when he wasn't in there league.

He is a good player, just not that good.

I never classed him anywhere near the top to be honest. If you think of Pele, Cruyff Maradona Best messi etc. being situated at John o' Groats then Rooney would have been about Carlisle.