Rangers U20s Begin New Season Fixtures

RANGERS will take on English giants Manchester City, Tottenham and Liverpool as part of a new games programme for their Development Squad.

The Light Blues announced earlier this year that they would not field a team in the Under-20 League this term and will instead arrange matches against Academy sides at home and abroad.

The schedule is designed to enable kids to make the transition from youth football into the first team arena and will provide a unique challenge for Graeme Murty’s side.

Rangers will host Brighton and Leicester next month either side of a trip south of the border to face Man City before they kick-off October with a match against Brentford.

Meetings with Spurs, AZ Alkmaar and Liverpool will then follow, while they will make trips to Mechelen and Benfica in November.

The following month, the Gers will travel to Southampton and Everton before they head to Spain for three outings against La Liga opposition.

Rangers have also reached agreements with the likes of Ajax, Chelsea, Inter Milan, PSG and PSV Eindhoven for matches in the second half of the campaign.

Head of Academy Craig Mulholland said: “Our players, staff, and indeed the supporters we have spoken with are very excited by the season ahead and the challenges our players will face.

“No one knows what the outcomes will be as this is the first time an initiative such as this has been piloted. However, what I was absolutely clear on was that in order to produce a different level of player, we needed to be radical and brave enough to try something completely different.

“I am delighted that it is Rangers who are leading the way with this concept and we know other clubs are watching closely.

“We are playing some of the EPL and Europe’s best clubs and teams full of international players so we know how challenging it will be in some matches for our players but we want to create this struggle by design. Elite sportspeople succeed through challenge and struggle and we will expose our young Rangers players to exactly that.”

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/rangers/15499601.Rangers_line_up_Premier_League_and_European_tests_for_Under_20_side_as_part_of_new_games_programme/

I just noticed we play AZ Alkmaar away on 17 Oct. I have a Dutch pal who is an AZ fan - I quite fancy a trip over for it.

Anyone know the story with where it will be played? I'd be less keen if it's just a field somewhere.

I have never been to Alkmaar so maybe if the wife lets me :D I will go to watch them there if it is open to the public.

I attended the last time we played AZ in the UEFA Cup, a lovely Dutch cheese town. Cobbled thoroughfares, canals, converted warehouses, ..... lots of character. The ground was a tip, although I believe they moved to a new purpose built affair soon after? Oh, it was early December and the typical Dutch Black Peter thing was being played out in the main square. Surprising, I thought the EU would have been draconian about anyone blacking up, a la black and white minstrels?

Surreal, and we lost 1-zip.

I attended the last time we played AZ in the UEFA Cup, a lovely Dutch cheese town. Cobbled thoroughfares, canals, converted warehouses, ..... lots of character. The ground was a tip, although I believe they moved to a new purpose built affair soon after? Oh, it was early December and the typical Dutch Black Peter thing was being played out in the main square. Surprising, I thought the EU would have been draconian about anyone blacking up, a la black and white minstrels?

Surreal, and we lost 1-zip.

Black Peter or Zwarte Piet as it is in Dutch has split the nation in half. All of the anti-racist groups want him banned. Some city councils have banned him and others say he has been in our history for hundreds of years and he belongs there. Most normal Dutch people won't bow to the offended and want him to remain. Some councils have made coloured Piet out of it and have all different colours and some have made Soot Piet out of it with a white face made to look sooty as he comes down the chimney.

He was always a helper of Sinterklaas (which is the Dutch Santa Claus) taking the presents down the chimney's but now the anti groups say he should be equal to Sinterklaas and not his slave.

The debate will explode again in December.

izoUHGy.jpg

MrZjQ6O.jpg

kmWyrdy.jpg