Still don't think he would have got to it. He was already behind the player as the ball came in. Was Cardoso's player to mark, the ball ultimately came into the box pretty much in the center of the box, that was either Cardoso or Alves's area to attack.

I also think that the reason for the distance when the finish was applied was because Tavernier knew the boy was getting a touch on it. Sure, he could have applied pressure but I still don't think he beats Mikkelson to the ball.

I'm also not seeing any credit being given for some of his excellent defending today, example being the sliding tackle 1st half that prevented a goal scoring chance.

I'd need to see it again pete, but I completely disagree that he had the inside run on Mikkelson.

You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink. Tav could have stopped that goal in he had shown a bit of tenacity.

Edited by pete

Alves had pulled out to cover Wallace, who was out of position after Niko lost the ball/ was fouled. Cardoso moved across to cover Alves and Tav was running next to the Ross County striker and then pulls away. I don't know if he could have got across the player, but he could have put pressure on him to prevent a clean header. To give them credit, it was a great cross from the County player.

I have been a big critic of Wallace, both last season and this, and yesterday I felt that at times his passing was sloppy and put us under unnecessary pressure, but he did great in making the third goal. He desperately needs some support down the left hand side though, before he can be properly judged.

Tav had an excellent game yesterday - supporting the attack and doing some great work defensively. I do think he could have done better at the County goal though but Cardoso was equally culpable.

Wallace did a bit better than of late yesterday too - especially given Krancjar and Pena struggled in the second half. Rossiter coming on late on helped as he covered that side of the pitch to allow Wallace to get further forward.

Ultimately, I think we have to accept both are the greatest of defenders but in the modern game it's their attacking qualities that arguably matter most.

Agree with most comments here and Tav has improved his defensive work significantly over the last 6 months or so. I haven't been at all impressed with Cardoso so far, looks just as vulnerable as Kiernan but has a much better partner which has helped him. Alves has to go out to the cross as Wallace was too far upfield when Niko got fouled, so Cardoso has to be touch-tight with the only striker, but was a few yards off him.

Interesting to read FS's view as sometimes the sightlines at the game are so much better than any camera angle, and if he says he had a great view and Tav had him then lost him this may be the main cause for the free header but for me it is the CH's job to make sure he takes control of the situation and marks the striker, letting the FB do the mopping up. What is certain is that between them the striker should have been nullified or at least put him under pressure. We lose far too many goals like this.

I think Cardoso could have done better but he went to cover Alves who'd went to cover Wallace.

Tav was able to see all of this and was initially close to the striker so he could and should have went all the way with him. I doubt he'd have won the header but his presence may have made a big difference.

Cardoso has to think better. He must have faith in Alves to prevent the player getting past him, and concentrate on where the biggest danger is going to be, which is a cross to the lone striker, and ensure he is covering him tightly. It is the same type of error that Kiernan and Wilson continually made for the last 2 years. No game awareness, or incorrect decision making.

If Alves does get beaten, he then leaves his man to try to close him down before he gets into a shooting position, but that player doesnt need covering at that time as he cant score from there, only the man he was supposed to be marking can score.

From what you and FS say, clearly Tav has to read the game situation better, which he is working hard to improve this part of his game I know, and hopefully he can review the footage and learn from it.

All of this should have been prevented by the referee giving an obvious free kick for a foul on Niko which he was right on top of and must have noticed there was absolutely no contact with the ball when he tripped our man up. Another case of see what you want to see Thomson eh?

Had the winger beaten Alves, Cardoso could still then have come across to Alves position to hold the winger up and, in so doing, would possibly have by then got cover in the middle too.

Cardoso's 1st option should, IMHO, have been to hold the centre - Alves went wide so Cardoso should hold the centre - by going to cover Alves he effectively leaves a gaping hole behind him. One that County exploited.

Yes, Tavernier was watching it in front of him but he also wasn't to know, as the ball was being played in, that he didn't have his own man to cover behind his shoulder.