Development Squad v Leicester City on Tuesday

Just back in from the game saw nothing to fill me with any hope just a few fleeting glimpses here and there.

Was it not a very young team , plus , Wilson , Barjonas and McCrorie weren't playing

Dev Squad: Rangers 1-6 Leicester City

RANGERS Development Squad suffered at the hands of a dominating second-half Leicester City display at Ibrox.

The visitors scored five in the second period after an evenly matched first 45 minutes. City were 1-0 up with a couple of minute gone but Ryan Hardie cancelled their lead out from the penalty spot on 16 minutes.

It was a lesson for a young Graeme Murty side at the hands of the Premier League academy side.

RANGERS: McAdams, Hewitt, Beerman ©, Palmer, Finlayson, Mayo, Dallas (Shiels 61’), Kelly, Hardie (Nelson 61’), Rudden, Atakayi.

Subs not used: Wright (GK), Ahmed, Gray, O’Connor.

Goals: Hardie 16’

LECIESTER CITY: Davies (Stolarczyk 45’), Thomas, Ughelumba, Leshabela (Gill 58’), Heaven, Husek, Williams (Fielding 58’), McLeod, Shade, Brown, Tee (Elewa-Ipakwu 77′)

Subs not used: Keaveny.

Goals: Tee 2’ 62’ 64’ Shade 54’ Fielding 84’ 87’

.... more here https://rangers.co.uk/news/match-report/academy-u20s/dev-squad-rangers-1-5-leicester-city/​

GRAEME MURTY was disappointed his Rangers Colts didn’t stand up to be counted as Leicester ran out 6-1 winners at Ibrox on Tuesday night.

The Light Blues second string suffered a heavy defeat as they continued their new games programme against their Premier League counterparts.

Ryan Hardie pulled Rangers level from the spot in the first half but the Foxes eased to an impressive win as Conor Tee hit a hat-trick.

And boss Murty insists the Gers must show they can rise to the occasion when faced with tough tests in the future.

He told SportTimes: “I can take the positive that I have learned a lot about the players when things go against them.

“They can take the realisation that things aren’t always going to be smooth on the path of their career.

“They have to realise that when challenges are thrown at them and thrust upon them that they need to rise up.

“I thought not enough of our players rose up to the challenge and the challenge overcame them.

“It wasn’t anything insurmountable, but I was disappointed with the lack of leadership shown on the pitch.

“The players were waiting for problems to be solved from the sidelines and I purposely didn’t do that. I wanted them to try and do it.

“Unfortunately, at this age and stage, they are not capable of doing that just yet and we have to make sure the next time that happens, if it does, that they are better equipped.”

Rangers more than held their own in the first half after Tee had given Leicester an early lead and Murty’s side had other chances through Hardie and Myles Beerman.

The Gers boss watched on as City strolled through the second period, with substitute Tom Fielding completing the scoring with a late brace.

Murty said: “The only thing that would show then is what I know about the game and how I can organise.

“I have said to the players it is not about me, it is about them on the pitch. They need to take ownership of it and they know it. In their words, they played that game like little boys.

“We asked them at half-time to up the tempo and intensity of our play and when Leicester did it, far too many people went passive and watched them play.

“I thought, in the first half, we were the better team. But they have to understand that good teams don’t allow you 90 minutes of dominance and you have to fight for everything.”

Murty was without the likes of Ross McCrorie and Jamie Barjonas for the City clash and fielded a youthful line-up once again.

The Foxes were a physically imposing side and proved too quick and too strong for the Light Blues to handle on a disappointing night.

Murty said: “They are a little bit older than us. That is the way it is.

“Regardless of that, that they are bigger than you, faster than you, stronger than you, you are going to come up against that.

“When you come up against the best teams in the world, they are all going to be physically elite. You have to be able to cope.

“I didn’t think we looked like a Rangers team in our out of possession. With the way we train and play, we didn’t put enough of our values onto the pitch.”

There were few positives to take for Murty as his side slumped to a defeat on home soil.

But the 20s boss was pleased to see Hardie get on the scoresheet as he looks to catch Pedro Caixinha’s eye this term.

He said: “He wants to score goals and get himself into the first team. I think he found it difficult, as we all did.

“We need to make sure we give him opportunities to go and showcase his talent.

“And he needs to come in every day and make it difficult for the manager to ignore him.”

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/rangers/15560333.Graeme_Murty__Rangers_kids_didn__39_t_rise_to_the_challenge_when_the_going_got_tough_against_Leicester/

One thing that really annoyed me at the game was the actions of the Leicester players after their goals,running to the corners as if they were celebrating a world cup win and the blatant cheating firstly of their number7,stopping to tie his laces before getting back to his own half, then the number10 who had to be warned several times by the referee for slowly getting back.

Obviously not well drilled by their coach as there was no support to show off to.

It's all good in the lung run I suppose. The whole point of it is to give them experience playing against better quality opposition. Learn from it. Give the coaches a better idea of who can learn and improve from it and who might always be out of their depth and may never be good enough.