[FT] St. Johnstone 0 - 3 Rangers (Pena 27, 78; Dorrans 85)

I really enjoyed that last night. A game this time last year we would probably have lost. It wasn’t pretty at times but I thought we defended well when we needed too.

Positives

Pena - obviously we want this guy to succeed and it looks like he’s settling a little better. He has more league goals than Griffiths. He took them both well.

Dorrans - best player on the park for the second game running. We are seeing the form which made him a decent EPL midfielder. Took his goal magnificently.

Morelos - thought he was a proper team player last night. He’s a very clever player. More goals will come but his general play is excellent.

Tav - great deliveries. Going forward he’s excellent. Needs to be braver defensively though.

Negatives

Windass - the guy has talent but he doesn’t have heart. Loses almost all his 50/50’s. an area I think we’ll look to improve on in Jan

Cardoso - he had some good defensive moments but sometimes he gets too tight, rushes in and either lets players in behind or commits a foul. It’s 4 or 5 fouls in dangerous areas a game lately. He needs to improve or young McRorie will take his place.

Overall a great 3 points and if we beat Killie at home that’s Pedros first 3 wins on the bounce. A good reaction from the old firm game is what we wanted and it looks like we’ve got that. Motherwell will be a tougher test but we should go into that game with confidence.

Shows how much I know. I was actually pleased with Pena's performance last night. Apart from the obvious contribution of his goals, his ability to find space in a crowded midfield is very impressive. His aerial ability is excellent and his general work rate was much improved. I'm beginning to think we might have found a diamond.
All true but he had a few ridiculously bad touches. Going to be a great player for us i suspect though.

Pena as our no 10 should be the most creative player on the park.

Lots of effort some great runs but still not seen anything that makes me think we have a player here.

I want to be proved wrong ,I really do.

Edited by Barrheadboy

All true but he had a few ridiculously bad touches. Going to be a great player for us i suspect though.

Yep, as I said above, he looks at times a bit like Morelos, who has some deft touches and takes the ball out of the air as if it was glued to his boot, then brushes people about or leaves a foot in. But Pena does what he is paid for, creating spaces, getting into positions and scoring goals. And he will sure get a wee bit better still.

NB: Couldn't help but laugh out loud when the ref penalised Pena for "shouldering" a Saint to the ground like many other teams' players did with ours with not even a second glance by the ref. He sure has presence, this Pena lad.

It's nice to wake up on a Saturday morning knowing Rangers have three points this weekend.

Pena is a strange one - looks all over the place at times but his goals to games ratio is pretty bloody good.

In some ways, he reminds me of Filipino Inzaghi. Anytime I watched him he looked slow, awkward, and just didn't have the physique or movement of a footballer. But just about every time I saw him, he scored. Until Messi and Ronald's came along I'm sure he held most of the major scoring records.

Pena does look awkward, but it's not about a lack of fitness because he still looked like that when I saw him at his 'peak' a couple of years ago. He actually covered more ground than almost everyone else on the pitch last night. I think he's just built that way, but as long as he keeps terrorising defences, let's just enjoy it.

We're really rattling in the goals from all over the pitch. Only the Yahoo!'s who are allegedly unstoppable have more and that's only 1 more. Get more shutouts and we will be cruising.

The sheep will slip up soon. They always do.

The sheep have had a seriously impressive start to the season.

I think they're largely defending well. Today they had 7 shots at goal to 13 for hubz with 2 on target to hubz 4. What's the betting they park the bus against us at Ibrox next month.