Has anyone noticed this about Morelos?

Pena was a bystander first half Sunday, he stood to far off Morelos to lay anything off to him and vice versa. The game was literally thundering around him whilst he was the calm in the centre of the hurricane, I said to mate sitting next to me after about 30mins, Pena's not been seen yet. Total waste of a position on Sunday, he's big , strong and can score given the ball in front of goal, what the feck was he doing standing around the midfield with his thumb up his arse?

Yep I was actually startled when he touched the ball after about 30 minutes. I had forgotten all about him.

As I mentioned earlier, Pena was largely a bystander because we largely bypassed the midfield and/or went wide rather than through the middle.

Doesn't excuse his poor contribution but does explain it somewhat.

As I mentioned earlier, Pena was largely a bystander because we largely bypassed the midfield and/or went wide rather than through the middle.

Doesn't excuse his poor contribution but does explain it somewhat.

I agree Frankie. But then Pena needs to be more mobile and find the gaps and places to play in. Modric would have struggled in that game in defence of Pena. You then have to question tactics and whilst I agree in finding a more modern way to play as our preference I think we need flexibility. When it became clear we were stalling in their flanks (early second half) Herrera should have been in far earlier and then Pena or Morelos could have picked up second balls or replace Pena with Herrera and put Dorrans further forward. A good manager needs to use the tools and personnel available and needs flexibility and Pedro needs to be less stubborn perhaps and more practical. If we don’t get guys in the box we’re not going to score many goals. We don’t have players who score or even seem to hit the target regularly from outside the box.

I agree Frankie. But then Pena needs to be more mobile and find the gaps and places to play in. Modric would have struggled in that game in defence of Pena. You then have to question tactics and whilst I agree in finding a more modern way to play as our preference I think we need flexibility. When it became clear we were stalling in their flanks (early second half) Herrera should have been in far earlier and then Pena or Morelos could have picked up second balls or replace Pena with Herrera and put Dorrans further forward. A good manager needs to use the tools and personnel available and needs flexibility and Pedro needs to be less stubborn perhaps and more practical. If we don’t get guys in the box we’re not going to score many goals. We don’t have players who score or even seem to hit the target regularly from outside the box.

We had the numbers in midfield to cope, the battle wasn't in midfield though, it was up front imo, we were getting the ball up the wings with some pace but we didn't have the numbers up front to take advantage. Pena was slow to get up or relaxing midfield, whilst Morelos was battling away with one defender on his hump and another biting his heels, you could see he needed some help battering his way through their defence, in such circumstances like that two is always better than one.

The bottom line is Pena is garbage and offers nothing as said we need someone to support Morelos through the centre of attack,so formation needs to be 4-4-2 to be effective.

I'm not comparing Mourinho with Pedro other than they are both Portuguese but, The Special One often start cautious with a 4-4-2 then adapts to a 4-5-1 or whatever depending on circumstances. You could see circumstances demanded two up front to combat their four, dropped to a three or two when Morelos was isolated.

Edited by aweebluesoandso

The bottom line is Pena is garbage and offers nothing as said we need someone to support Morelos through the centre of attack,so formation needs to be 4-4-2 to be effective.

4 goals in 9 games is not bad for a player that "is garbage and offers nothing"...

The Motherwell game was probably the first game I've seen where Pena didn't get up to support Morelos; their link-up play has been great at times.

Edited by Rousseau