Floodlights

A few weeks ago we had a discussion over floodlights and I said we used to have pylons to which most said we never. I thought I was going crazy until this post on FF.

Sixty-five years ago floodlighting was first introduced at Ibrox, in a friendly match against Stenhousemuir in front of 7,500 fans. The official inauguration came a year later when Arsenal came North to Ibrox Stadium on December 8th 1953.

The introduction of floodlights meant that the was was now clear for a series of midweek glamour friendlies against English and foreign opposition. Over the next three seasons, Arsenal were regular visitors along with Manchester City, Rapid Vienna, Racing Club Paris, Dinamo Zagerb and the Argentinians,San Lorenzo. There was also a series of challenge matches against the British Army XI. For each match, Rangers produced a special edition of their match programme, which they billed as a Souvenir Floodlight Programme, adding to the sense of occasion.

Results were mixed, but the games were well attended and, if nothing else, provided the club with some extra income and showed there was a definite appetite for regular competitive matches against continental teams.

ysKkfQu.jpg

Rangers fight out a 2-2 draw with Kilmarnock in February 1954.

Note the new floodlighting system includes plyons ,which can be seen in the West terracing corner.

Thankfully I can now say my sanity was not in question.

I can remember the Roof floodlights coming in but I am not sure which year it was. It must have been in the sixties.

Floodlights.jpg

:lol::roflmao::yay:

Time to get more proof, Pete.

I found this after a quick search -

" Floodlights were first erected in late 1953 and consisted of lights on the front edge of the old barrel shed roof - as well as a pylon at either end - - there were also lights on the underside of the Main Stand roof.

When the shed roof was extended in the summer of 1954, the lights were fitted under the roof edge, same as the Main Stand and due to the number of lights and longer roof, the pylons were not needed. "

Edited by boabie

I found this after a quick search -

" Floodlights were first erected in late 1953 and consisted of lights on the front edge of the old barrel shed roof - as well as a pylon at either end - - there were also lights on the underside of the Main Stand roof.

When the shed roof was extended in the summer of 1954, the lights were fitted under the roof edge, same as the Main Stand and due to the number of lights and longer roof, the pylons were not needed. "

One thing is certain I was not there in 1954. I wonder if they took them away right away. If they did then I must just be going on foto's or my fathers stories. I am still sure I saw them and can remember the new lights coming on. Did they upgrade the lights in the sixties?

Edited by pete

One thing is certain I was not there in 1954. I wonder if they took them away right away. If they did then I must just be going on foto's or my fathers stories. I am still sure I saw them and can remember the new lights coming on. Did they upgrade the lights in the sixties?

I attended my first match around 1960 and don't recall seeing any pylons then.