Mourinho is a master of deflection.

Manchester derby: Jose Mourinho has water & milk thrown at him in row, Mikel Arteta cut

------------------

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho had water and milk thrown at him and Manchester City coach Mikel Arteta suffered a cut head during a post-match row..............

.........The incident started when Mourinho responded to what he perceived to be over the top celebrations.

Full article

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42306141

He's built a career on that! I think it's a good think, though; the best always deflected from their team's failings (Sir Alex, Walter etc.). But, as you say, it'll only last so long without success.

Only if Mourinho was rigid to the point of stupidty.

I don't think United have got the players to play the way Guardiola likes.

I'm not sure I understand the relevance of that statement buster. Mourinho has spent a ton of money at Man U. Guardiola has spent a ton of money at City. They bought with their own respective philosophies in mind, as you would expect. At this moment in time it would appear that Guardiola is proving his philosophy is superior to Mourinho's. The same happened, for the most part, when they went up against each other when at Barcelona and Real Madrid respectively.

I agree that Guardiola would need to make serious changes to Utd to get them to play the way he likes them to play... but had he been Utd manager he wouldn't have signed Lukaku in the first place and probably wouldn't have signed Pogba either.

This City team is a joy to watch, at least in English football terms - have we ever seen an "English" team (quotes used because City play in England but rely more on foreigners, most important being the manager) play quite like this before ?

Then I'd question the Man Utd board's decision to employ Mourinho and would view him as a relatively short-term occupant of the MU dug-out because the support want more stylish and attacking football and the club have the resources to make it possible. The name and CV of Mourinho buys time but not infinite time.

In a way you could compare the rational for Mourinho at MU and proposed McInnes at Rangers. :whistle:

Short term stability needed but fresh appt required within 2/3 years.

Think you are correct on both counts.

The Utd fans won't show a great deal of patience if they remain in City's shadow for a significant period of time.

I'm not sure I understand the relevance of that statement buster. Mourinho has spent a ton of money at Man U. Guardiola has spent a ton of money at City. They bought with their own respective philosophies in mind, as you would expect. At this moment in time it would appear that Guardiola is proving his philosophy is superior to Mourinho's. The same happened, for the most part, when they went up against each other when at Barcelona and Real Madrid respectively.

I agree that Guardiola would need to make serious changes to Utd to get them to play the way he likes them to play... but had he been Utd manager he wouldn't have signed Lukaku in the first place and probably wouldn't have signed Pogba either.

This City team is a joy to watch, at least in English football terms - have we ever seen an "English" team (quotes used because City play in England but rely more on foreigners, most important being the manager) play quite like this before ?

Agree about Pep not signing Pogba and Lukaku. The Man United policy is they want to sign the players who are up their with the nest in their position. Pep's is to sign players that fit his style of play.

Mourinho just wants to go out, spend shit loads of money on the best player and fit them into his team.

Only if Mourinho was rigid to the point of stupidty.

I don't think United have got the players to play the way Guardiola likes.

I think they do have players to at least have an attack minded go. Why Juan Mata didn't start is beyond me. They missed Pogba but should have had Mata, Martial and Rashford as the 3 behind the No.9 (Zlatan for me). I actually think they should have played Shaw at LB also, a more natural defender.

I think Man Utd are in a false position, they haven't been nearly as good as their 2nd position suggests, its just Liverpool and Arsenal are too inconsistent plus Spurs hit a blip.

Agree about Pep not signing Pogba and Lukaku. The Man United policy is they want to sign the players who are up their with the nest in their position. Pep's is to sign players that fit his style of play.

Mourinho just wants to go out, spend shit loads of money on the best player and fit them into his team.

I wouldn't got that far. He has a good track record of recruitment. He buys what he needs. At his second spell at Chelsea he bought specific players to win the league: Costa, Fabregas, Matic. He is good at recruitment, it's just that he'll never have his teams playing a Guardiola game because that's not his style; he can't do it.

I think they do have players to at least have an attack minded go. Why Juan Mata didn't start is beyond me. They missed Pogba but should have had Mata, Martial and Rashford as the 3 behind the No.9 (Zlatan for me). I actually think they should have played Shaw at LB also, a more natural defender.

I think Man Utd are in a false position, they haven't been nearly as good as their 2nd position suggests, its just Liverpool and Arsenal are too inconsistent plus Spurs hit a blip.

But, if they "have an attack minded go", they'll get ripped apart! Man City would just pass round Zlatan and Mata - they're slow as stop! For me, it's have a go and get ripped to shreads, or close the game down and maybe sneak a win. Those are the only options for Mourinho's philosophy against Guardiola's -- I understand the criticism because its Man Utd, but they have to be realistic.

I think Mourinho is consistent. They are a good side; they'll beat most others. However, I agree they'll need others to be off the pace to win titles now.

I wouldn't got that far. He has a good track record of recruitment. He buys what he needs. At his second spell at Chelsea he bought specific players to win the league: Costa, Fabregas, Matic. He is good at recruitment, it's just that he'll never have his teams playing a Guardiola game because that's not his style; he can't do it.

Given the ambitions, traditions and resources of Manchester United they need a new manager who looks to spend the huge piles of money on actually building a football side.

The reason McInnes was being considered for the Rangers job was the recognition that we weren't in a place that we could suddenly bridge the gap and first, we need a solid foundation.........but Man Utd are now in a place where they don't need to be patient, they need a manager who can take them further and have them playing the type of football associated with the club....and have realistic ambition of winning the title. At the moment, they may as well be Stoke City, relative to their neighbours.

The Man Utd board may be doing well on the commercial front but their football operation has generally been badly managed since Alex Ferguson retired as manager.

Edited by buster.