James McClean admits he would ‘give anything’ to play for the Hoops

MY DREAM Celtic-mad West Brom star James McClean admits he would ‘give anything’ to play for the Hoops.

The Republic of Ireland international says being at Parkhead for Celtic's 2-1 victory over Barcelona only made him more determined, despite missing the winning goal.

JAMES McCLEAN has insisted that he would ‘give anything’ to run out for Celtic.The West Brom star is a lifelong fan of the Hoops and isn’t afraid to talk about it.

McClean was at Parkhead on the famous night Celtic beat Barcelona 2-1 back in 2012.

And he admitted that it only made him more determined to play for the club – even if he didn’t actually see Tony Watt’s winning goal.

Speaking to the Celtic View, McClean said: “It was beyond words really, although I missed the second goal.“I was trying to get back down to Sunderland for training next morning and soon as I left the ground, I heard the place erupt.

“I remember saying to my wife, while I have always wanted to play for Celtic, I wanted to do it even more so that night.“I’m a Premier League footballer and leaving the ground that night, I was thinking I would give anything to play for Celtic.”

The 28-year-old also says it would be a massive REGRET if he never gets the chance to pull on the famous hoops.

He said: “It’s always been a dream of mine. If I retire from football and never get to pull on the green-and-white jersey and run out at Celtic Park, it will be a massive regret for me.

“It’s a dream I have never shied away from expressing.“If that dream did come true, which I hope it does, it would mean a lot to me and fingers crossed it can happen.”

McClean explained how his love affair for Celtic started after growing up in his home city of Derry.

The ex-Sunderland ace said: “Growing up where I did, there is a massive Celtic influence.“Where I am from, you are born into it and you grow up with it and ever since then, it’s been a love affair.

“It’s a club that I grew up supporting as wee boy and I have taken that on. It’s a club that means a lot to me.“You’re born into it and grow up with it. You have your Man United and Liverpool fans but where I grew up is predominantly a Celtic area.“You’re taken to the bars and watch the games, like the Glasgow derbies. You take a love to it and it’s pretty special.”

If McClean ever was to realise his dream of playing for Celtic then he may remind some fans of former players.Ex-Hoops boss Martin O’Neill said last month that he saw shades of Neil Lennon in the West Brom star.

I get the impression he hates everything British apart from the wages he receives from WBA.

Cunt.

He's nearly as ugly as Neil Lennon and John McGinn. They all look, funnily enough, like deformed potatoes.

I hope McClean dies a horrible death.

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/12/2017 at 02:47, Gonzo79 said:

He's nearly as ugly as Neil Lennon and John McGinn. They all look, funnily enough, like deformed potatoes.

I hope McClean dies a horrible death.

What a dreadful attitude, I was really sorry when Jim Baxter died. I used to see him from a bus window around Shawlands Cross, I even jumped of the bus to try and find him and shake his hand and tell him he was one of the greatest players Scotland ever had, truly world class.

1 hour ago, Michael Collins said:

What a dreadful attitude, I was really sorry when Jim Baxter died. I used to see him from a bus window around Shawlands Cross, I even jumped of the bus to try and find him and shake his hand and tell him he was one of the greatest players Scotland ever had, truly world class.

Personally I don't feel that way because it's simply not in my DNA.  But you have to appreciate there are some people who have reason to feel like that about such as James McClean who while living in Britain and earning a good living in Britain would very likely not be out of place with the kind of people who wish British soldiers to die a horrible death.  This kind of individual.

9 hours ago, Michael Collins said:

Did ye aye?