Rangers (Morelos 5) 1 - 3 St Johnstone

Being without Miller gives us a great opportunity to play two up front and Windass just behind them. 3-5-2 should be adopted at home anyway against the "lesser" teams, as they will try to pack their half and hit us on the counter. I'd give McCrorie a rest if he needs it, or ...

Foderingham

McCrorie - Alves - Wilson

Jack - Holt

Candeias - Windass - John

Herrera - Morelos

And yes, Tav can have a rest too.

Why would you make so many changes to a winning team and bring in Herrera who hasnt looked like he can offer much. The winning run needs continue and Herrera will just need to be patient. He should be doing what Giroud does at Arsenal, come off the bench and impress.

Why would you make so many changes to a winning team and bring in Herrera who hasnt looked like he can offer much. The winning run needs continue and Herrera will just need to be patient. He should be doing what Giroud does at Arsenal, come off the bench and impress.

Thing is, we had a good spell with the "diamond" against teams that played football themselves, i.e. Hearts, the Sheep and Hibs. The Accies game was a blip, given the amount of good chances we missed. But against Ross County we were required to play football against the parked bus and there, IMHO, the diamond formula without that much creativity lacked.

I would assume that St. Johnstone won't come to Ibrox trying to outplay us. Thus, they will not have a lot of attacking players about. Given that we need more punch up front, i.e. a striker who stays in the area rather than moves about a lot - which usually resulted that the opponents simply swamped their area and we tried to pass our way to the goal (9 out of 10 time it didn't work).

So what's the thinking behind it? At home and against "lesser teams" ... why would we pack our defence and DM with 6 players when the thread is not as great as normal? To keep possession and have people playing the ball about into the odd attacker who will get quickly swamped? Haven't we seen that before and it ends up in dire passing games around the half-way line or the odd missplaced long ball up front? You would at least need someone who can actually find a player or a killer pass. I do assume that "my" back 3 will be able to cover any ground quickly enough and thwart any Saintly forays, Same goes with Holt and Jack, doing the necessary running, preventation and cover game in midfield. Both are able going foward when we are in possession. Candeias and John would supply the balls from the wings, with Candeias also well capable of providing the creative spark. Herrera would stay up front and keep the Sainst defence busy at all times, opening some more space for the wingers, WIndass and Morelos to exploit. Now, one could swap Herrera for a creative MF too, with Windass going up front (which again would leave us with 2 "roving" strikers though) ... but I'm not sure that our options in Pena or Kranjcar would delight many people. If asked, I'd give it to Kranjcar from the off, and replace him with Pena later on.

People may ask why I'd sacrifice Tavernier, given his amount of assists. Well, defensively he is probably not required and he's been having a few sub-standard (by his standards) games of late. And attack-wise I'd rather have Candeias and one more MF or striker. I see people moaning about Herrera and wishing to sell him, but how can they actually evaluate him when he's been playing 4 or 5 mins each game due to the gaffer sticking to Miller (no matter what) or a single-striker system that hardly works against the "lesser" teams. Or can anyone remember a good game against the "park-bus" - union? So why not bring in a strong central striker to cause more problems where it hurts?

But be not afraid ... Murty is sure keeping the same line-up with minimal changes due to Jack coming back and Miller missing. As always, I hope for a good performance all round (and sure Tav will score a couple today), but if we go with virtually the same line-up / tactics as we did against Ross County, we may be in for another tough 90 mins - on various levels.

From the club historian David Mason via FB ...

If you are going along to Ibrox tomorrow from the east and come along Harrison Drive and up the small stairway to the concourse at the Copland Road end, you will be standing right in the position of the centre of Old Ibrox Park.

If you now look towards Edmiston House, you will be looking towards the position of the old Grandstand.

Ibrox - old and new

25348279_1514572915295669_3016690774263106161_n.jpg?oh=218979d6cb46a4a832774c27d4ff9972&oe=5ACE5D0A

Its Strange that games today still give a feeling of potential banana skin. Growing up this would be a straight forward 3-0 but I'll take any win today. Keep the momentum going is key.

Back in the middle 80s we sure had enough of these banana skin games, as our squad wasn't that great either. A couple or more of generations of Bears grew up after that and saw quality players getting past these "lesser" sides regularly, maybe not always comfortably, but regularly. Which in essence laid the basis for success over the course of the season. You get the feeling that despite all what has transpired after 2012, quite a few see us as a team that will bypass the "lesser" sides without much problem, probably ignoring that our players are hardly of the quality of bygone days, where most that took to the field cost easily more than 1m (and that is generous). The burden of 2012, Ashley and Co. still weigh heavily, while on the other hand, the English market has virtually ruined the prices, despite the more modern option of free transfers. Thus, the creation of a working scout network and the DoF setup was a vital step back to a normality, though somesuch won't bear fruit over night. Money isn't going to come easy either. Which essentially means, we have to work with what we've got and hope that the lads out there rise to the challenge. And we slowly pick up pace there, as McCrorie, Windass and Holt sure have made the next level, while others added their quailty too. (That said, we do need more strength in depth, as we are a couple of injuries away from bare bones.) What we have seen now is that these players produce their own standard more consistently ... and if we apply these standards to the game today, we should get all three points. The Perth Saints are sure no easy opponent, never really have been ... which should be clear. But we can sure beat them with what we have right now.