What is wrong with some people - Reactions to Yvonne Dorrans twitter post

I don't follow twitter but occasionally I'll have a read through announcements etc that are of interest to me. I noticed one this morning that upon reading I discovered its replies were just completely and utterly bizarre and begs at least a modicum of scrutiny. I would say it requires far more scrutiny than was afforded Rangers transfer discussions by the pantomime villain Spiers. It wasn't a headline grabber from a journalist nor was it a front page trending type of twitter post. It was simply a wife posting a picture, to her friends and family, of her husband at his place of work meeting a childhood hero of his. It was quite clearly an I'm happy that my mans happy since he's had a wee bit of a hard time recently type of diary entry.

I am absolutely perplexed at the reaction of supporters of other Scottish football teams to this picture and I simply wondered what on earth possesses these people or indeed what mechanism is it within them that instils ANY authority or right to interject in her personal life with snide hubris, smart arse comments and in some cases a degree of vitriol? 

I'm not sure if my post is a commentary on social media in general or if it is simply a Rangers related thing. What makes me think that it is simply a Rangers thing is that I haven't noticed random people on other social media displaying this type of behaviour which is quite simply prying into folks personal lives. Although in saying that places like Reddit has its fair share of flamers however I would argue that sub reddits will attract that sort of attention from certain posters as they are specifically designed to be opinion based discussions on any given sub reddits topic.

There are social etiquettes and manners in everyday life therefore a perfect stranger wouldn't interrupt or interfere in a conversation on the street between people that was nothing to do with them. So what is it about social media such as twitter that makes these people lose ALL sense of decorum or feel they have the validity to indulge in impulse or think this type of behaviour is in any way acceptable?

• Big Jaws changed the title to What is wrong with some people - Reactions to Yvonne Dorrans twitter post

So what was said?

Online 'communities' are usually a lot more insulting than real life ones.  That's because saying something, anonymously, to someone you'll never meet provides a lot more opportunity to say something you wouldn't face to face. 

I was guilty of it in my younger days (usually to Tims).  Experience is an important thing when it comes to being reasonable.  And Tims I know will tell you I say some nasty things face to face too.

Edited by Gonzo79

16 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

So what was said?

Online 'communities' are usually a lot more insulting than real life ones.  That's because saying something, anonymously, to someone you'll never meet provides a lot more opportunity to say something you wouldn't face to face. 

I was guilty of it in my younger days (usually to Tims).  Experience is an important thing when it comes to being reasonable.  And Tims I know will tell you I say some nasty things face to face too.

I can understand that easily Gonzo especially if its a discussion between folk who are quite clearly going to have a difference of opinion. I could also understand it if it came from an official Rangers post or a fans group or something along those lines but it wasn't. It wasn't tagged @ Rangers, none of her posts are, it was a personal picture of her husband the only tag was to the other person in the photograph Paul Gascoigne. That in itself merited no response whatsoever.

I'm more concerned with why anyone would feel it was acceptable to make any comment at all let alone opposition fans.

Edited by Big Jaws

Just now, Gonzo79 said:

I agree Big Jaws.  But online behaviour suggests many don't.  

Good luck to Dorrans and I hope his wife ignores the dafties giving her grief.

Exactly mate... its a bit weird, stalkerish when you think about it... I mean why are these folk even following an opposition players wife on twitter?

It is not normal.

Anything Rangers related is met with plagues of online trolls on social media and comments sections on online media.

They are not normal. But it is creeping into normal society as well unfortunately.

When I read this thread I went back to the tweet from his Mrs - there were only TWO messages in there which were negative, both obviously from Tims.

One said "Why is this waste of space not dead yet" - clearly aimed at Gascoigne - and one which some people will agree with given some of his past indiscretions.

The other said "Bar L black deck with wife beating jaikey tramp" - I have no idea of the reference to Bar L, presumably it is a certain section of Bar L.  But as for the "wife beating jaikey tramp" comment the only thing you could really deny would be the tramp bit.

In terms of the Twitter world that is very, very tame.  I have seen far, far worse - and sadly, in many cases, from our own.

This one is a storm in a teacup, nothing really to see.

1 hour ago, craig said:

When I read this thread I went back to the tweet from his Mrs - there were only TWO messages in there which were negative, both obviously from Tims.

One said "Why is this waste of space not dead yet" - clearly aimed at Gascoigne - and one which some people will agree with given some of his past indiscretions.

The other said "Bar L black deck with wife beating jaikey tramp" - I have no idea of the reference to Bar L, presumably it is a certain section of Bar L.  But as for the "wife beating jaikey tramp" comment the only thing you could really deny would be the tramp bit.

In terms of the Twitter world that is very, very tame.  I have seen far, far worse - and sadly, in many cases, from our own.

This one is a storm in a teacup, nothing really to see.

Its not a storm in a teacup since I'm not sensationalising any of it and I'm certainly no pearl clutcher either Craig mate. I'm merely drawing attention to these behaviours and asking the question, why is it OK? Incidentally I'm also including our own supporters in my critique too.

As I said above there are some snide, smart arse comments some particularly vitriolic comments and there are a bunch of bears commenting too. I'm asking what our opinions are on whether being the wife of a Rangers player is enough justification to leave her open to random strangers confirmation and also at times acerbic narcissism. I'm attempting to discuss whether its just the nature of twitter or if it is because she is a Rangers player wife that has lead to a distinct lack of boundaries and respect?