Should we have gone for Steven Caulker?

I had seen Celtic linked with Caulker after he was released in December and my first thought was that it would be a big risk because he'd demand a big wage.

His move to Dundee however proves that wasn't the case, which leaves me thinking we've missed out on a very good player. It seems likely Dundee will have another big payday coming up with this one. I know we already have plenty centre backs but none of them have the potential Caulker has.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5369895/Dundee-boss-Neil-McCann-hails-capture-Steven-Caulker.html

Edited by DMAA

I don't think so. He's barely played in three years because of a mental health issue, which won't be made easier playing in the old-firm goldfish bowl.

He may do a turn for Dundee, but I'm not too fussed we've overlooked him.

4 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I don't think so. He's barely played in three years because of a mental health issue, which won't be made easier playing in the old-firm goldfish bowl.

He may do a turn for Dundee, but I'm not too fussed we've overlooked him.

Probably an unlikely scenario but I would have liked to have seen us sign him on a similar length of contract Dundee got him for (18 months) and loaned him out to a Scottish Premiership side like Dundee/Hamilton.

In any case, I wish him well and hope he does generate significant revenue for Dundee, Scottish football needs much more of that.

Just now, DMAA said:

Probably an unlikely scenario but I would have liked to have seen us sign him on a similar length of contract Dundee got him for (18 months) and loaned him out to a Scottish Premiership side like Dundee/Hamilton.

In any case, I wish him well and hope he does generate significant revenue for Dundee, Scottish football needs much more of that.

I don't think we're in a position to buy players just to loan them out. 

I was surprised he went to Dundee, but then again not: his career has been ruined with alcohol, gambling and depression. If he was good enough Celtic would've signed him, as Rodgers has worked with him before. 

21 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I was surprised he went to Dundee, but then again not: his career has been ruined with alcohol, gambling and depression. If he was good enough Celtic would've signed him, as Rodgers has worked with him before. 

Also, we have to strike a better balance in terms of the risk attached to the guys we bring in.   It makes for a great story when we pick out "rough diamond" or we attempt to bring  someone of promise back in from the cold or a period of injury or obscurity (ref: Forrester, Niko), the failure rate is likely to be high.  And at this point, we simply cant afford to be doing that too often

2 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Think he turned celtic down and not the other way about.

He's certainly a big lad, the size of Neil McCann's hand in the handshake puts things into perspective :).

• 1 month later...

I would assume that if asked, the Norwegian media will say: "according to reports from Scotland". Likewise, Dundee are neck-deep in a relegation fight and won't want to lose one of their most important players right now.

We'll see how in-form Caulker is on Saturday, if he's turned the corner, fine. IMHO, Dundee (or a team like theirs) was the right place to go and McCann the right man to go as well. Get himself back on track out while being out of the English media carneval and beyond the scope of the Scottish hacks, who circle around the Old Firm.