Referees for Feb 17/18

53 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

There are no good referees in Scotland, the standard has never been as bad, whoever is refereeing our matches you just hope they keep their mistakes to a minimum!.

Or at least treat both sides the same.  I am still utterly astonished that Beaton is allowed to ref games still after that game at Ibrox against Hibs.  I've never seen anything like that in football and it has completely destroyed my belief that refs just sometimes make honest mistakes.

Actually there are some very good refs in the youth leagues but they're not fast tracked through the system.  I'd have thought there would be scouts for good referees but apparently not.  I know it's different in terms of the speed of the game, but keeping up with play and making sensible decisions is the core of a good ref so these attributes should be identified early.

19 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

Or at least treat both sides the same.  I am still utterly astonished that Beaton is allowed to ref games still after that game at Ibrox against Hibs.  I've never seen anything like that in football and it has completely destroyed my belief that refs just sometimes make honest mistakes.

Actually there are some very good refs in the youth leagues but they're not fast tracked through the system.  I'd have thought there would be scouts for good referees but apparently not.  I know it's different in terms of the speed of the game, but keeping up with play and making sensible decisions is the core of a good ref so these attributes should be identified early.

The club never made enough noise about Beaton, I wouldn't want the club to go full tonto like the scum did which got a ref sacked and caused the refs strike! however they should have made enough noise to let everyone know what went on in that match!.

I actually feel a bit sorry for Refs.....they are under an immense amount of scrutiny.  EVERY decision they make will be analysed over & over again, all with the benefit of video replay & a number of "expert" opinions on hand.  Pressures from each set of fans during the game, and constant focus from pundits & managers mean that they will likely be worrying as much about the fallout a decision may have, as the actual decision itself.

Don't get me wrong, in no way do I think they are doing a sterling job, their inconsistency at times is unbelievable.  I honestly think that gagging the refs from speaking about decisions etc does more harm than good.  Controversial decisions are debated for days with folk trying to work out what the ref was thinking - why not just let the refs come out & say what they were thinking???

1 hour ago, Darthter said:

I actually feel a bit sorry for Refs.....they are under an immense amount of scrutiny.  EVERY decision they make will be analysed over & over again, all with the benefit of video replay & a number of "expert" opinions on hand.  Pressures from each set of fans during the game, and constant focus from pundits & managers mean that they will likely be worrying as much about the fallout a decision may have, as the actual decision itself.

Don't get me wrong, in no way do I think they are doing a sterling job, their inconsistency at times is unbelievable.  I honestly think that gagging the refs from speaking about decisions etc does more harm than good.  Controversial decisions are debated for days with folk trying to work out what the ref was thinking - why not just let the refs come out & say what they were thinking???

I agree that refs should be able to explain their big decisions.  Most of them are well educated and should be capable of articulating their key decisions either immediately after the match or in their report.  I also think it would help managers, players and supporters in understanding the laws of the game better.  Some of the nonsense I hear from managers, pundits and supporters is incredible.  We are all involve doing in the game to different extents, but there's no excuse for managers, players and pundits not knowing the laws.