Atlantic League

I saw a post on Follow Follow about this. I’d have 3 teams from 6 countries, with the bottom 3 teams of the 18 relegated regardless of country and the 6 winners of the feeder leagues play off for 3 places for promotion (losers get big cash bonus). That way each country can get as many teams as they are capable of in the big league. Games on a Saturday, Champions league places for top 4 etc, but keep domestic cups. Decent cash to be filtered into feeder leagues. Thoughts?

Seems a reasonable idea to me but I reckon people would soon get fed up of games against such opposition as they are here.

I much prefer Rangers staying in Scotland in terms of a week to week basis - though a well run British and Atlantic Cup might work.

10 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Seems a reasonable idea to me but I reckon people would soon get fed up of games against such opposition as they are here.

I much prefer Rangers staying in Scotland in terms of a week to week basis - though a well run British and Atlantic Cup might work.

Fair enough but i don’t think we’ll ever compete in the Champions League without some big changes. I guess it’s how content we are just to win in Scotland.

9 minutes ago, SlimJim said:

Fair enough but i don’t think we’ll ever compete in the Champions League without some big changes. I guess it’s how content we are just to win in Scotland.

We're not winning in Scotland right now and with CL qualification becoming ever more difficult, another option makes sense.  However, I think a new cup competition (instead of the waste of time League Cup) seems most likely and the best logistical way to make some reliable non-domestic income.

15 minutes ago, SlimJim said:

I am with the Atlantic idea and have been on about it before. The elite clubs will eventually have their own league. A North Atlantic League makes perfect footballing and financial sense to me.

I am not averse to Frankie’s idea of a cup either. My preference would be a league though.

The Dutch have totally no interest in the Atlantic league at this time. The old Chairman of PSV was for it years ago and entered into talks. They don't see the Atlantic nations teams as being step up from the teams in their own league

2 minutes ago, pete said:

The Dutch have totally no interest in the Atlantic league at this time. The old Chairman of PSV was for it years ago and entered into talks. They don't see the Atlantic nations teams as being step up from the teams in their own league

That’s a bit short sighted considering the sums that would be available. No Dutch team will win the Champions League with the status quo.

5 minutes ago, SlimJim said:

That’s a bit short sighted considering the sums that would be available. No Dutch team will win the Champions League with the status quo.

What sums?

How much would Sky or BT pay for Rangers v PSV or Celtic v Ajax or Basel v Bruges?  Could they persuade Amazon or Netflix or Youtube instead?

Sorry, I don't think there's a silver bullet here.  Not saying it wouldn't work just that there's not necessarily a pot at the end of that particular rainbow.