Atlantic League

Just now, SlimJim said:

That’s a bit short sighted considering the sums that would be available. No Dutch team will win the Champions League with the status quo.

How will an Atlantic league help that? Ajax PSV Feynoord Rangers Celtic Anderlecht Brugge and then you have the Scandinavian who have less fans than most other Dutch teams and probably not as good . That is the problem

12 minutes ago, pete said:

The Dutch have totally no interest in the Atlantic league at this time. The old Chairman of PSV was for it years ago and entered into talks. They don't see the Atlantic nations teams as being step up from the teams in their own league

Im sure you can’t be 100% certain on that Pete? Opinions change due to many factors. If they were asked again when/if the elite clubs break away I suspect they may find it attractive.

2 minutes ago, cooponthewing said:

Im sure you can’t be 100% certain on that Pete? Opinions change due to many factors. If they were asked again when/if the elite clubs break away I suspect they may find it attractive.

I am talking about things at this minute of course things may change. It was discussed quite recently and that was the general consensus.

Unfortunately Scottish football is not held of high regard. They think it is a one team league

20 minutes ago, Frankie said:

What sums?

How much would Sky or BT pay for Rangers v PSV or Celtic v Ajax or Basel v Bruges?  Could they persuade Amazon or Netflix or Youtube instead?

Sorry, I don't think there's a silver bullet here.  Not saying it wouldn't work just that there's not necessarily a pot at the end of that particular rainbow.

I think broadcasters would be top dollar for Rangers v PSV and Rangers v Celtic in a bigger league, too. There’d also be Sporting Lisbon, Porto.  It could be Scotland, Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, Sweden, Norway. The advantage of having Norway and Denmark is the other countries could potentially displace their six.

42 minutes ago, pete said:

How will an Atlantic league help that? Ajax PSV Feynoord Rangers Celtic Anderlecht Brugge and then you have the Scandinavian who have less fans than most other Dutch teams and probably not as good . That is the problem

I've always thought the idea of an "Atlantic League" was more about  style than substance. Why would any alternative to the existing UEFA competitions want to exclude teams from Belgrade, Greece, Italy, France, etc? Is the Atlantic League proposal suggesting that Scottish, Scandinavian and Benelux countries would be excluded from the Champions League and Europa League in order to compete in this new competition? Or would they enter both? 

Surely what's needed is a change to the existing UEFA setup. The media that funds everything in football would have no interest in a second or third tier product. You either get a seat at the big table or eat off the floor. The real problem is Uefa is controlled by those who benefit most from a product that is closely focussed on the major European leagues ... the dominant media organisation and the corporate sponsors. Advertising is everything, media is the advertising vehicle, only big populations matter, football is simply the bait. Change those perimeters and you might change the game.

49 minutes ago, Bill said:

I've always thought the idea of an "Atlantic League" was more about  style than substance. Why would any alternative to the existing UEFA competitions want to exclude teams from Belgrade, Greece, Italy, France, etc? Is the Atlantic League proposal suggesting that Scottish, Scandinavian and Benelux countries would be excluded from the Champions League and Europa League in order to compete in this new competition? Or would they enter both? 

Surely what's needed is a change to the existing UEFA setup. The media that funds everything in football would have no interest in a second or third tier product. You either get a seat at the big table or eat off the floor. The real problem is Uefa is controlled by those who benefit most from a product that is closely focussed on the major European leagues ... the dominant media organisation and the corporate sponsors. Advertising is everything, media is the advertising vehicle, only big populations matter, football is simply the bait. Change those perimeters and you might change the game.

The elite clubs will form their own super league Bill. It’s when not if I’m afraid. It’s what the smaller but financially dependent countries can do to maximise collective revenue. The elite clubs will look after themselves.

Having said that, when all these elite teams form a league it may not be the utopia they suspect. How will the clubs and fans feel about being bottom of their leagues? Clubs/Fans used to winning will suddenly be losing. I wonder how there attendances will hold up? How will it look on TV with half empty stadiums? 

Edited by cooponthewing

11 minutes ago, cooponthewing said:

The elite clubs will form their own super league Bill. It’s when not if I’m afraid. It’s what the smaller but financially dependent countries can do to maximise collective revenue. The elite clubs will look after themselves.

Having said that, when all these elite teams form a league it may not be the utopia they suspect. How will the clubs and fans feel about being bottom of their leagues? Clubs/Fans used to winning will suddenly be losing. I wonder how there attendances will hold up? How will it look on TV with half empty stadiums? 

Good points but I imagine the money (corporate advertisers, TV companies) will follow them when they go. However you label the elite group, they're only elite because of their value as corporate brand-props. And however you reconstruct what's left, it will remain in the poorhouse unless new sources of major funding can be found. Without oodles of income there's a real danger of football becoming a sport again.

33 minutes ago, Bill said:

Good points but I imagine the money (corporate advertisers, TV companies) will follow them when they go. However you label the elite group, they're only elite because of their value as corporate brand-props. And however you reconstruct what's left, it will remain in the poorhouse unless new sources of major funding can be found. Without oodles of income there's a real danger of football becoming a sport again.

It’s TV money and the clubs we’re looking at in the Atlantic League come from big cities and will be the major clubs of their own countries. This means advertising revenue, not of Champions League level but close to the individual leagues of the big nations (England and Spain aside). There’s no suggestion this is in place of CL just the new bread and butter set up of the smaller nations.