Poll: Steven Gerrard as Rangers manager - Yea or Nay?

Is Gerrard a good appointment?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Is Gerrard a good appointment?

• Yes - he'll bring a profile and respect much needed at the club
    • No - we need experience and pragmatism, not another risk
    • Undecided - it's exciting but also gives me the fear

4 minutes ago, Darthter said:

Gerrards name brings excitement due to his playing career.....the key (as I've said before) is if he can transition into a 1st team dressing room as a manager/coach.

i would say that there is POTENTIAL for it to be an amazing piece of business, and he could bring massive success to the club.....but there is also the flip side & we're back to square one in 6 months.

Diego Maradona, Paul Ince, Lothar Matthäus, Hristo Stoichkov, Bryan Robson, Glenn Hoddle etc prove being a good player means nothing. 

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

Just now, Ser Barristan Selmy said:

Diego Maradona, Paul Ince, Lothar Matthäus, Hristo Stoichkov, Bryan Robson, Glenn Hoddle etc prove being a good player means nothing. 

Totally agree...to bring it closer to home - Greig & McCoist......

Some of the best coaches in sports have never even played (to any significant level) the sport they coach, yet through a sound technical knowledge & a clear delivery method they can become world class.

He wouldn't be the first great player to 'struggle' as a manager , he might get so frustrated and drop the lot of them and just go out on to pitch himself ?.

I can't see it mind you , but his 'football intelligence' would be a huge asset .

Barry Ferguson as assistant ?

32 minutes ago, Darthter said:

Totally agree...to bring it closer to home - Greig & McCoist......

Some of the best coaches in sports have never even played (to any significant level) the sport they coach, yet through a sound technical knowledge & a clear delivery method they can become world class.

There are also more than a few that have shown that top class players can do well in their first management role. 

Not saying it still isn't a gamble but it won't automatically be a failure.