Poll: Steven Gerrard as Rangers manager - Yea or Nay?

Is Gerrard a good appointment?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Is Gerrard a good appointment?

• Yes - he'll bring a profile and respect much needed at the club
    • No - we need experience and pragmatism, not another risk
    • Undecided - it's exciting but also gives me the fear

3 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I'm undecided. It strikes me as stupid to play roulette again at such a crucial time in the club's history.

On the other hand Steven Gerrard is one of the biggest names in world football. You just can't argue that he would bring much needed positive attention to our club from around the globe. And crucially he could make a huge difference in persuading higher quality players to join. Playing under Steven Gerrard with the prospect of a run in Europe would be a huge draw to players all over the world.

That may be true, but what does he bring to get results? It has to more than just bring in good players and press. 

21 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Ken Dodd assisted by Cilla Black is preferable. 

Since both nominees are dead, we need Doris Stokes to convey their thoughts.

Oh, wait a mo', she's dead too. Managing Rangers is getting way too complicated.

1 minute ago, Rousseau said:

That may be true, but what does he bring to get results? It has to more than just bring in good players and press. 

Yeh I know, there would have to be evidence from his work that he knows what he's doing. Again my gut says no because his appointment would be the definition of a gamble. If he did turn out to be a good manager though it would be great for the club in every way.

In what way he ain't comparable with Souness? We can sure outspend all but one team in Scotland, and while we can hardly compete with the EPL sides et al, we may attract (not least due to Gerrard himself, similar to PC) freebies of international calibre.

As with all managers, you will only after half a year or so see whether it worked or not. Even if it works it does not mean that the spending power of the Yahoos might be too much for instant success.

1 hour ago, Frankie said:

Rumours around the possible appointment of Liverpool playing legend Steven Gerrard have exploded overnight with stories now suggesting he and Gary McAllister are the favoured management team to take over from Graeme Murty this summer.

...  Understandable (though arguably inaccurate) comparisons are being made with Graeme Souness' arrival as player-manager in 1986 with Gerrard's world reputation exciting many Rangers fans.  On the other hand his obvious lack of experience - despite the possible presence of former Leeds and Coventry manager McAllister - means just as many bears are worried about the prospect over another risky move.

If I remember correctly Souness brought Smith for his knowledge of the league.  I'll be surprised if Gerrard would get that from McAllister.

7 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

In what way he ain't comparable with Souness? We can sure outspend all but one team in Scotland, and while we can hardly compete with the EPL sides et al, we may attract (not least due to Gerrard himself, similar to PC) freebies of international calibre.

As with all managers, you will only after half a year or so see whether it worked or not. Even if it works it does not mean that the spending power of the Yahoos might be too much for instant success.

Does that mean 'undecided'?

I'd ask those who don't fancy a Gerrard appointment, who would their realistic choice be.....Yes, we need experience and pragmatism but from who ?

I'd prefer Clarke but don't think he'd take the job.

All things considered, I'm struggling to come up with what would be considered as a low risk, feasible and 'acceptable' option.

Hence, if it is to be Gerrard then we have to hope there is ample and appropriate support within his staff (especially scouting) and of course, financially. 

The support always follow the team and do their bit but they will also probably need to show more patience. 

Edited by buster.

Another gamble really, but he would bring a positive aura and good media attention. How long that would last in Scotland is the gamble, that and a lack of managerial experience. But on the upside, he's seen it, done it and bought the shirt.

Edited by aweebluesoandso