Poll: Steven Gerrard as Rangers manager - Yea or Nay?

Is Gerrard a good appointment?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Is Gerrard a good appointment?

• Yes - he'll bring a profile and respect much needed at the club
    • No - we need experience and pragmatism, not another risk
    • Undecided - it's exciting but also gives me the fear

14 minutes ago, buster. said:

On the face of it, the "solid" names sound interesting but whether they could be attracted to Scottish football is debatable.

To me, Gerrard comes accross as a Liverpool version of Barry Ferguson, in that there is no disputing his qualities as a player but when I have listened to him, it has been less than inspiring/insightful, as countless footballing cliches are used.

ie. I don't think he'd be a great inspirational communicator.

However, in his favour, he does seem to have got his head down and made an effort to 'go modern' within the Liverpool football operation.

What evidence is there that he's "made an effort to 'go modern'"? 

Edit: Just seen your video -- I'll have a watch! Thanks.

I still don't know what he'd bring. He must be learning from Klopp, but has he been able to implement it with the U-18s? 

It's just a big question mark for me.

11 minutes ago, buster. said:

To me, Gerrard comes accross as a Liverpool version of Barry Ferguson

I was going to say that the counter argument to my post is Barry Ferguson. I'd love to have him as a motivational number 2 but he's clearly not management material.

2 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I was going to say that the counter argument to my post is Barry Ferguson. I'd love to have him as a motivational number 2 but he's clearly not management material.

I watched the Klopp/Gerrard exchange and I have to say I've come off the fence of 'undecided' and am going 'No'.

He just doesn't sound at all convincing or confident in himself and he doesn't appear to have the self-confidence in himself as a manager (compare that to Souness). IMO, he'd basically be cutting his teeth in an unforgiving enviroment and the probability of success would be low.

12 minutes ago, buster. said:

I watched the Klopp/Gerrard exchange and I have to say I've come off the fence of 'undecided' and am going 'No'.

He just doesn't sound at all convincing or confident in himself and he doesn't appear to have the self-confidence in himself as a manager (compare that to Souness). IMO, he'd basically be cutting his teeth in an unforgiving enviroment and the probability of success would be low.

Have to admit I kind of felt the same. There's no time to learn at Rangers just now.

Having gone through our Macari and Brady phases, Steven Gerrard would move us forward to our John Barnes period. As a club we seem to have learning difficulties. 

13 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Have to admit I kind of felt the same. There's no time to learn at Rangers just now.

Souness came to Rangers with a clear idea of the club and a powerful energy that his personality conveyed to others at and around the club. It exuded confidence, self-belief and was infectious.

To my mind, Gerrard has none of that. He seems to have stated that he now wants to learn and gain experience on the frontline as part of a career path. That may be more in tune with the times and his own reality but IMO, it doesn't fit with being a Rangers manager for 2018/19.