Poll: Steven Gerrard as Rangers manager - Yea or Nay?

Is Gerrard a good appointment?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Is Gerrard a good appointment?

• Yes - he'll bring a profile and respect much needed at the club
    • No - we need experience and pragmatism, not another risk
    • Undecided - it's exciting but also gives me the fear

39 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

No from me.

On the face of it, we are going from an U20 coach to an U18 coach!. Yes he could turn out to be successful but this is just another gamble from our board, another project!. Being a world class player means nothing when it comes to managing

Neither Souness or Smith has managerial experience.

Frank De Boer won 4 titles at Ajax with 0 experience, Gattuso and Zidane are also doing ok...

It’s a gamble mind you.

I’ve also taken the easy option – undecided.

I can understand why some at rangers think this is a good move. A big name (though not in management) which brings us a degree of respectability. We’ll certainly get some publicity in the English media and people will be following how he does at a big club and in the media spotlight. Also, between him and the DOF, they should have a great contact list.

It will be interesting on how he deals with the egos in the Rangers dressing room – maybe the moves on Miller and Wallace are a way to lessen this problem. Hopefully the younger players will look up him.

What I find more difficult to understand is why he would want to move to such a high pressure environment. It can’t be the money. I’m sure he could make more in the English Championship and many English teams would be only too happy to have Gerrard, with the kudos this brings. Maybe he is at the stage where he feels he needs a big challenge to see if he is cut out for a pressure management. For him, if it did not go well it may dent his Management career path but he will always be able to go back to punditry.

I think it shows he has some serious ambitions and hopefully he would  assert his presence at the club, not in a bravado Pedro manner but in an understated knowledgeable way.

It could go horribly wrong for him, and more so for us. But it could be the start of a momentous journey (as they say).

Time will tell (well, at least until Christmas)

2 minutes ago, Waltersgotstyle said:

Neither Souness or Smith has managerial experience.

Frank De Boer won 4 titles at Ajax with 0 experience, Gattuso and Zidane are also doing ok...

It’s a gamble mind you.

Not comparable imo!.

When Souness took over the English teams were banned from Europe and we had money! and the rest had taken over far better squads than ours and also have money to improve the squads.

22 minutes ago, buster. said:

I'd ask those who don't fancy a Gerrard appointment, who would their realistic choice be.....Yes, we need experience and pragmatism but from who ?

I'd prefer Clarke but don't think he'd take the job.

All things considered, I'm struggling to come up with what would be considered as a low risk, feasible and 'acceptable' option.

Hence, if it is to be Gerrard then we have to hope there is ample and appropriate support within his staff (especially scouting) and of course, financially. 

The support always follow the team and do their bit but they will also probably need to show more patience. 

Even if he gets financial and back-room support, it doesn't mean he'll be successful. I still don't know what He brings? How does he want to play the game, can he implement it? etc.

I don't necesarily want "experience and pragmatism".

For me, M. Laudurp, Villas-Boas (unattached) would be solid appointments; Basel's Raphael Wicky's been good; Hertha's Pal Dardai (Hoffenheim's Nagelsmann will be free in the summer, but is not an option); Benevento's De Zerbi is more of a left-field option. They all show tactical proficiency, but vary in terms of pragmatism and experience.

1 minute ago, ranger_syntax said:

Laudrup and Villas Boas have been in the Persian gulf and China most recently.

Not sure either is such a good idea.

And Gerard is?

What is your opinion on Gerard being our next manager?

For all we don't know about Gerrard as a manager there is plenty we do know.

• Tactics
    • He's had unfettered access to Jurgen Klopp for just over a year and says he's made full use of that
    • He's had all the management training Liverpool have to offer in that time too
    • He's had 1 season in what is probably still a league full of quality given the spending at that level these days and appears to have done pretty well
  • Personal Qualities
    • Will command instant respect from the dressing room due to almost incomparable experience in the game
    • Is full of enthusiasm for the game and management which can go a long way
    • Captained Liverpool 12 seasons and England 40 times so possess the motiviational and leadership qualities we need

I'm leaning towards being keen to get him, though I'm still being very skeptical it will happen.

Edited by DMAA

As the poll says, we need experience and pragmatism, not another risk and I've voted no.

However it's also exciting but gives me the fear.

I do think it's the wrong decision but it is exciting and that's good. Us Rangers fans need a bit of excitement in our lives. It's been too long since we've had it, so there are some pluses to it.

Just now, Rousseau said:

Even if he gets financial and back-room support, it doesn't mean he'll be successful. I still don't know what He brings? How does he want to play the game, can he implement it? etc.

I don't necesarily want "experience and pragmatism".

For me, M. Laudurp, Villas-Boas (unattached) would be solid appointments; Basel's Raphael Wicky's been good; Hertha's Pal Dardai; Benevento's De Zerbi is more of a left-field option. They all show tactical proficency, but vary in terms of pragmatism and experience.

On the face of it, the "solid" names sound interesting but whether they could be attracted to Scottish football is debatable.

To me, Gerrard comes accross as a Liverpool version of Barry Ferguson, in that there is no disputing his qualities as a player but when I have listened to him, it has been less than inspiring/insightful, as countless footballing cliches are used.

ie. I don't think he'd be a great inspirational communicator.

However, in his favour, he does seem to have got his head down and made an effort to 'go modern' within the Liverpool football operation.