Poll: Steven Gerrard as Rangers manager - Yea or Nay?

Is Gerrard a good appointment?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Is Gerrard a good appointment?

• Yes - he'll bring a profile and respect much needed at the club
    • No - we need experience and pragmatism, not another risk
    • Undecided - it's exciting but also gives me the fear

1 hour ago, craig said:

I would take Gerrard before the vast majority of names we have heard.  For no other reason than he would actually excite the fanbase. 

Of all the names we have heard Warnock would be "safe" and a better bet.  MPH I would be interested in. 

Robbie Neilson ?  Alex Neil ?  Even FDB... No thanks, I would take the risk on Gerrard.

He would, but that doesn't mean he's going to be a success, or a fit. He's not done anything to suggest he'd be a good appointment. 

Warnock scares me, but he would be. I agree with MPH.

See, I would rather take the known risk of Neilson, Neil and FdB over the unknown risk of Gerard -- Although I'm not suggesting we approach any of those!  

The puzzling aspect is he does not fit the criteria previously set by the board of bringing in someone with a track record of management success. Exciting gamble but not sure we need that level of risk right now. It maybe points to the lack of achievable managerial targets we have. 

2 hours ago, Bill said:

So far only 20% are “excited” about Gerrard as manager. Hardly a ringing endorsement.

If you actually read the poll questions, you'll see that..............'Undecided - it's exciting but also gives me the fear'............... has over 40%.

When I first heard of this rumour, I thought people were just assuming that because King was seen at the Liverpool game, there must be more to this than a rumour.

As it appears to more substantial. I was originally surprised and excited about the prospect of Steven Gerrard and possibly Gary McAllister being the new Management Team.

But SG has no management experience, at a Senior level.

GM has to a lesser extent, experience as a No 2, but as a Club at a specific and crucial time in our history, and also considering the last three disastrous Managers appointments, the next Managerial  appointment has got to be the correct one.

When Graeme Sousness arrived as a player with no Management experience, the financial situation was entirely different, as we had the cash, and the other lot had no cash, or wouldn’t spend it.

We have not progressed as a Club, on and off the pitch in a manner that we should have.

I think it would be a huge gamble by our Board if we go down the SG/ GM road, but they need to show some form of leadership that the fans can buy into.

It is imperative that the Board get this appointment correct, because if they don’t our greatest rivals will be out of sight for many years to come.

25 minutes ago, Jobra said:

It is imperative that the Board get this appointment correct, because if they don’t our greatest rivals will be out of sight for many years to come.

They are already out of sight.

Would you have taken him over Mark, Pedro and Graeme? Look at the years wasted there!  I certainly would have.

I'm genuinely excited at the prospect of a manager with all those years of high level EPL and Champions League playing experience. Although I'm not at all convinced it's going to happen.

What's one more roll of the dice when you look at the state we are in? Could turn out to be a master stroke.

11 minutes ago, buster. said:

Just had a quick glance at FF and there is a poll with a bigger sample size.

Steven Gerrard for Rangers manager

Yes........  847 votes......66.7%

No......... 422 votes......33.3%

We also have the same poll as on this thread on the main site and it's very tight with over 800 votes:  https://www.gersnet.co.uk/index.php/news-category/current-affairs/904-poll-steven-gerrard-as-rangers-manager-yea-or-nay

We need to be realistic. It is all very well to say we want an experienced manager but the calibre of manager we’d want with a track record to match will be well out of our salary range.

There are plenty of examples of managers who have been successful in their first managerial role at a big club. Guardiola is one. A certain Walter Smith back in 1991 is another. Any managerial appointment is a risk.

An earlier poster said on here Gerrard will be back down to Liverpool faster than Souness if he gets the call. I hope that happens as it’llmeans he’s been successful at Rangers