Poll: Steven Gerrard as Rangers manager - Yea or Nay?

Is Gerrard a good appointment?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Is Gerrard a good appointment?

• Yes - he'll bring a profile and respect much needed at the club
    • No - we need experience and pragmatism, not another risk
    • Undecided - it's exciting but also gives me the fear

5 minutes ago, TheUKCrazyhorse said:

Bookies have apparently stopped taking bets on SG as the next manager. I know it doesn't necessarily mean he's 100% got the job, but it could be a good indication that an announcement may be imminent...

some bookies are still giving odds, skybet 1/4, PP 4/9, 

Just now, buster. said:

That doesn't really make sense.

With justification or not, football supporters do tend to get 'excited' by big or well known names.

It's almost a perception of brand value. Gerrard isn't "a guy", he is Steven Gerrard.

A little further down the line, excitement then morphs into something else, either positive or negative. 

Yeah it's the great player so excitement as a manager I don't get. Everyone knows it doesn't work like that.

with our position and need I just don't get how anyone can be truly excited by this prospect and the most likely outcome. Nice to be romantic and dream but there is a time and place and this sure ain't it

I get folk like Pete like to see the positive in every move we make and would prefer to ignore the obvious but surely after the time we have had and the level of risk a bad decision posses at this time people put such notions of blind faith aside?

Does it not get really annoying to constantly back idiotic decisions with positive reinforcement to watch it blow up time after time? Would it not be better to call a spade a spade?

We are literally using some far out reasons here to see this positively. Stuff like positive press coverage or could attract better players when we all know these things either don't matter in the immediate or are not as black and white as being portrayed?

Yes young players will see Gerard as a bonus to coming here but how many do we honestly think would only come if he was here? It's more another incentive to a player coming but that is not even close to being worth the gamble of a rookie in charge that hasn't shown anything special as a manager so far.

sick to death of watching us make awful move after awful move and we as fans are just meant to be nodding dogs who believe in this insanity. We all said vigilance is key maybe we should add a bit about not ignoring the obvious perils when making decisions. Suppose this is why fans on a board rarely works. Chase dreams to the detriment of success

The excitement obviously comes from his qualities & reputation as a player....he is a BIG name in world football.  The hope is that those same qualities that make him a world class player & winner, convert over to coaching.

As it stands there is no evidence to suggest that it won't transfer, so no "negative facts" to use against him.

On the flip side, there are very limited stats to show success as a coach - sitting 3rd in the U18 league, against more experienced coached ain't overly bad.

Ultimately, any excitement is 100% based on potential.

While it all may be paper talk, one thing that it will do is get the club name into the media is a positive light.  Having the amount of column inches & airtime dedicated to discussing SG & Rangers should be no bad thing....might even persuade a "bigger" name to enter the ring.

3 minutes ago, trublusince1982 said:

Yeah it's the great player so excitement as a manager I don't get. Everyone knows it doesn't work like that.

with our position and need I just don't get how anyone can be truly excited by this prospect and the most likely outcome. Nice to be romantic and dream but there is a time and place and this sure ain't it

I get folk like Pete like to see the positive in every move we make and would prefer to ignore the obvious but surely after the time we have had and the level of risk a bad decision posses at this time people put such notions of blind faith aside?

Does it not get really annoying to constantly back idiotic decisions with positive reinforcement to watch it blow up time after time? Would it not be better to call a spade a spade?

We are literally using some far out reasons here to see this positively. Stuff like positive press coverage or could attract better players when we all know these things either don't matter in the immediate or are not as black and white as being portrayed?

Yes young players will see Gerard as a bonus to coming here but how many do we honestly think would only come if he was here? It's more another incentive to a player coming but that is not even close to being worth the gamble of a rookie in charge that hasn't shown anything special as a manager so far.

sick to death of watching us make awful move after awful move and we as fans are just meant to be nodding dogs who believe in this insanity. We all said vigilance is key maybe we should add a bit about not ignoring the obvious perils when making decisions. Suppose this is why fans on a board rarely works. Chase dreams to the detriment of success

Funnily enough i voted for the experienced manager and if you think  I am only positive then you don't read many of my posts. The fact is if it is Gerrard then he is innocent until proven guilty and starts from a neutral position with me. I already have the feeling you are in the "I hope he fails group"so as you can say "See I was right all along the board are crap"

Of course we could have gone for the Alex McLeish or bring back Walter route but I am afraid I would rather see a bit more creative Instinct from the board than chew through the same old, same old for the next number of years. that really would shrink the crowds.

11 minutes ago, pete said:

Funnily enough i voted for the experienced manager and if you think  I am only positive then you don't read many of my posts. The fact is if it is Gerrard then he is innocent until proven guilty and starts from a neutral position with me. I already have the feeling you are in the "I hope he fails group"so as you can say "See I was right all along the board are crap"

Of course we could have gone for the Alex McLeish or bring back Walter route but I am afraid I would rather see a bit more creative Instinct from the board than chew through the same old, same old for the next number of years. that really would shrink the crowds.

You always start positive Pete then when it goes to shit change your tune quickly. You moan anytime anyone calls it as it is from the get go. 

Being honest has has zero to do with wanting failure, actually it's the complete opposite. I want us to succeed so much I'm not getting swept up in nostalgic romanticism that ignores common sense and good judgement.

Agree wouldnt want WS or AM either.

would however expect and demand the person whoever it is is a professional manager with experience and licences to match, at a bare minimum. No? The persuit of which is worth upping the managerial wage to £1m with it coming out the transfer kitty or youth costs in the short term.

obviously the wage on offer is far below where we expect to be and that's hard to take, but we are making silly decisions that narrow the possibilities even further. Things like must know the Scottish game etc. Just complete nonsense tbh. Scary that our board see that as a just criteria and leaves us with under 18's managers. 

it seems to be unfashionable to say but we can't gamble as greatly and desperately as we are. All hires are a gamble true but not the same gamble. This gamble is ludicrous and very very unlikely to work. 

Edited by trublusince1982

6 minutes ago, trublusince1982 said:

You always start positive Pete then when it goes to shit change your tune quickly. You moan anytime anyone calls it as it is from the get go. 

Being honest has has zero to do with wanting failure, actually it's the complete opposite. I want us to succeed so much I'm not getting swept up in nostalgic romanticism that ignores common sense and good judgement.

Agree wouldnt want WS or AM either.

would however expect and demand the person whoever it is is a professional manager with experience and licences to match, at a bare minimum. No? The persuit of which is worth upping the managerial wage to £1m with it coming out the transfer kitty or youth costs in the short term.

obviously the wage on offer is far below where we expect to be and that's hard to take, but we are making silly decisions that narrow the possibilities even further. Things like must know the Scottish game etc. Just complete nonsense tbh. Scary that our board see that as a just criteria and leaves us with under 18's managers. 

it seems to be unfashionable to say but we can't gamble as greatly and desperately as we are. All hires are a gamble true but not the same gamble. This gamble is ludicrous and very very unlikely to work. 

We don't know the details of any wage packages on offer.....we don't even know who the board are considering etc.

44 minutes ago, Darthter said:

The excitement obviously comes from his qualities & reputation as a player....he is a BIG name in world football.  The hope is that those same qualities that make him a world class player & winner, convert over to coaching.

As it stands there is no evidence to suggest that it won't transfer, so no "negative facts" to use against him.

On the flip side, there are very limited stats to show success as a coach - sitting 3rd in the U18 league, against more experienced coached ain't overly bad.

Ultimately, any excitement is 100% based on potential.

While it all may be paper talk, one thing that it will do is get the club name into the media is a positive light.  Having the amount of column inches & airtime dedicated to discussing SG & Rangers should be no bad thing....might even persuade a "bigger" name to enter the ring.

Hopefully the board have done their due diligence this time and aren't being duped by a fancy powerpoint presentation. I won't hold my breath. 

Gerrard is a shot in the dark and the complete opposite of what we should be looking for. 

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

I suspect like many others, I'm torn between hope and fear. Hope that an end might be in sight to the torture of the last six years or so. Fear that this is simply another false dawn. I'd like to get excited about the prospect of Steven Gerrard but the twin facts that success is only ever judged in retrospect and every appointment carries risk suggest a more cautious view of things is prudent.

20 minutes ago, Bill said:

I suspect like many others, I'm torn between hope and fear. Hope that an end might be in sight to the torture of the last six years or so. Fear that this is simply another false dawn. I'd like to get excited about the prospect of Steven Gerrard but the twin facts that success is only ever judged in retrospect and every appointment carries risk suggest a more cautious view of things is prudent.

Agree totally and to add FC Twenthe went for the experienced manager in Gert-Jan Verbeek to get them away from the drop zone. They just got worse with him fighting with the players and he got sacked a few months later. Unfortunately it looks like Twenthe will be playing in the second league next season.