The Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals

8 minutes ago, buster. said:

I'm conflicted after last night because I felt so many players performed so well. I'm also wary of blocking Middleton's pathway. We've seen next to nothing of Sadiq too so it's not even clear how necessary another number 9 is, or at least whether we're talking a £3m number 9 or a loan player or what.

Basically I'm not sure whether we need cover in all those positions or whether we should be going for quality over quantity. Just now I'd lean towards preferring a £3.5m player in rather than 3 x £1m players.

2 minutes ago, trublusince1982 said:

Would agree with buster. Last night did show we are a bit short for cover. Would also add another RF is needed. Dependant on Wallace maybe also a LB. 

We now have to seriously consider the possibility of 6 extra high profile midweek games when finalising the squad,...which would be a wonderful problem to have. One that might allow the budget to stretch a little bit extra in the final week of the window.

As it stands, it's only a possibility.

22 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I'm conflicted after last night because I felt so many players performed so well. I'm also wary of blocking Middleton's pathway. We've seen next to nothing of Sadiq too so it's not even clear how necessary another number 9 is, or at least whether we're talking a £3m number 9 or a loan player or what.

Basically I'm not sure whether we need cover in all those positions or whether we should be going for quality over quantity. Just now I'd lean towards preferring a £3.5m player in rather than 3 x £1m players.

IMO you can't trust Morelos and another option breathing down his neck may push him in the right direction.

Sadiq is yet to prove himself.

We need a decent alternative to Ejaria / a replacement for Windass

No brainer

Re. 9 & 10

A splash of quality in at least one of these numbers would be good although may have to be another loan.

Edited by buster.

1 minute ago, buster. said:

IMO you can't trust Morelos and another option breathing down his neck may push him in the right direction.

Sadiq is yet to prove himself.

We need a decent alternative to Ejaria / a replacement for Windass

No brainer

Re. 9 & 10

A splash of quality in at least one of these numbers would be good although may have to be another loan.

I think I'd maybe divide the money between a CB and a ST with aerial prowess. In the CAM no10 position we have Ejaria, Arfield and Dorrans to come back soon.

Up front I'd be surprised if Gerrard brought in Sadiq Umar to be third choice, but I think we've played a lot of long ball and we've given away possession countless times due to a lack of aerial ability up front.

Add to that that we have just bought the Croatian left footed Beckham and the case for a striker who can consistently beat big centre backs in the air is very strong.

35 minutes ago, buster. said:

We now have to seriously consider the possibility of 6 extra high profile midweek games when finalising the squad,...which would be a wonderful problem to have. One that might allow the budget to stretch a little bit extra in the final week of the window.

As it stands, it's only a possibility.

Gerrard did say if euro qualification was on the cards we would up the desired squad to 25.

To think our net spend is less than £4m!! Hopefully more cash to spend

Edited by trublusince1982

1 minute ago, DMAA said:

I think I'd maybe divide the money between a CB and a ST with aerial prowess. In the CAM no10 position we have Ejaria, Arfield and Dorrans to come back soon.

Up front I'd be surprised if Gerrard brought in Sadiq Umar to be third choice, but I think we've played a lot of long ball and we've given away possession countless times due to a lack of aerial ability up front.

Add to that that we have just bought the Croatian left footed Beckham and the case for a striker who can consistently beat big centre backs in the air is very strong.

Re.10

I don't see enough creativity or guile for when we come up against better opposition.

I'm far from convinced that Ejaria will be the answer.

A Lafferty deal might yet happen.

Solanke talk doesn't go away.

10 minutes ago, trublusince1982 said:

Gerrard did say if euro qualification was on the cards we would up the desired squad to 25.

Thanks, I missed that.

August is a busy, difficult and crucial month.

It's a month when we could probably do with a 25 man sqaud now (potentially 9 games in 29 days).

A successful August will see regular midweek fixtures throughout the first half of the season.

However, we still have significant hurdles to get over, including Kilmarnock (A) in the League Cup.

Edited by buster.