The Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals

He is not the marquee signing everyone was looking for, he was horribly inconsistent the last time he was with us but did have his moments, he is a few years older with more experience now. Gerrard seems to be a really good motivator as well and I think that's what lafferty needs, at the end of the day he is an international striker, has played at a decent level throughout his entire career. I can't imagine Celtic's centre half's will be looking forward to dealing with Lafferty and Morelos on the 2nd of September.

11 minutes ago, Dave M609 said:

He is not the marquee signing everyone was looking for, he was horribly inconsistent the last time he was with us but did have his moments, he is a few years older with more experience now. Gerrard seems to be a really good motivator as well and I think that's what lafferty needs, at the end of the day he is an international striker, has played at a decent level throughout his entire career. I can't imagine Celtic's centre half's will be looking forward to dealing with Lafferty and Morelos on the 2nd of September.

Agreed ... but I remember a certain Davie Cooper being horribly inconsistent too. ?

16 minutes ago, Bill said:

Agreed ... but I remember a certain Davie Cooper being horribly inconsistent too. ?

I have to say I think he will do well this season when he comes here, you know he will run himself in to the ground for the team and he can play out wide or through the centre, 10-15 goals would be a good return from him.

I am not a lafferty fan but In his defence I think he was mostly played on the left wing for us so it is a bit unfair expecting a strikers tally in goals. Personally I would prefer a striker who can head the ball. I would have an inquiery about Bas Dost as I know he is unhappy at Sp. Lisbon. I have no idea what the financial side is though.

14 minutes ago, pete said:

I am not a lafferty fan but In his defence I think he was mostly played on the left wing for us so it is a bit unfair expecting a strikers tally in goals. Personally I would prefer a striker who can head the ball. I would have an inquiery about Bas Dost as I know he is unhappy at Sp. Lisbon. I have no idea what the financial side is though.

Yeah agreed pete. I did suggest Bas Dost a while ago on this thread, as I understand he is away from SP after being attacked, however is Sporting Lisbon are taking their case to CAS to try and get money for the GK, lemar and someone else, not sure if it worth going through all that to be eventually told we need to pay 10 mill for him. would be the type of striker I think we could use, I think it was Rosseaua who was talking about him, you basically need to build a team around him, I wouldn't be to worried about that with the squad we have now tho, we are full of runners, if Bas Dost was in the middle sticking the ball in the net I could live with that

I think it's important to remember how small our net spend is so far this window and how small our budget continues to be. In that context, Lafferty may well be the best route for us to go down at the moment. We're still three hard games away from any significant EL income boost and still need to remain reasonably cautious.

15 hours ago, Crimson Dynamo said:

Since he left Rangers he's scored goals goals in Switzerland, England, Italy, Turkey and Scotland as well as finishing top scorer for his country during their qualification for Euro 2016.

To me that shows a level of versatility and that he is adaptable and surely that is what Rangers should be looking for?

Will he be top scorer? No. Will he contribute? Yes.

Career total of 407 games....98 goals scored.

Morelos is only 25 career goals short of Lafferty, after only 137 games.  Lafferty is certainly NOT the reliable striker that many folk seem to think - his 19 goals for Hearts last season was only the 3rd time he's hit double figures in a season (other twice being 2013-14 with Palermo(12) and 2010-11 with us(15).) and also his highest goal tally ever in a single season.

Also, as we have seen in recent years, many Gers fans don't like players who "disappear" in games.....what's Lafferty's work rate like???  I've never got the impression that he was a grafter.....

55 minutes ago, pete said:

I don't know where other teams have played him, but his goal tally hasn't really improved at other clubs - I'd go as far as saying he is a less prolific goal scorer than Kenny Miller.  Acutally, checking Wikipedia - KM as a 33% career scoring record, compared to KL's 25%.