The Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals

10 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Come on now, 46 of Morelos's 73 goals were scored in Finland, and the Euro goals all in qualifiers, most against very poor opposition. The Finnish league is roughly equal to the Irish league according to UEFA's coefficient. 

Dembele's goals were in Scotland and the English Championship and 3 of the European goals were against Man City and PSG.

Lets not get sidetracked here comparing our players with theirs but this comparison doesn't really help us value our player, Morelos.

Where the goals were scored & against what teams are ultimately irrelevant.  I would guess that managers become initially interested potential players based on stats that are put in front of them - and Morelos' stats are generally better than either of the Ceptic pair.

As Gaffer says, we should be talking up the quality & value of our players....

7 minutes ago, Darthter said:

Where the goals were scored & against what teams are ultimately irrelevant

Not when valuing players. Morelos only cost us £1m because of the level he was playing at. The same applies in Scotland, there's a cap on how much people will pay for players playing at this level.

9 minutes ago, Darthter said:

As Gaffer says, we should be talking up the quality & value of our players....

I've slapped a £10m price tag on him so I think I've done that because I don't think anybody is going to pay that just now.

1 hour ago, buster. said:

I'd agree with much of that although whether he gets to a "very high level" will depend on his mentality and will to continually improve his game.

To come from Columbia and do what he has in Finland and Scotland at his age shows a willingness to adapt and improve based on natural ability. We need him to focus and continue down the path of improvement and yes, he could develop into a top level forward. 

However, bottom line.........it's about how the mgmt team see it, do they trust him, would they prefer someone else.

It's fair to say his indiscipline may have already cost us two points.

He was found not guilty(not sure of a better term?). It was the refs indiscipline that cost us two points. He was backed by SG at the time and through the appeal.

Haven't seen us mention needing a forward at all. Management have spoke of CB needed etc but have never mentioned concerns regarding Morelos or goals.

Lafferty will play wide in my opinion and battle with murphy/Kent and candiese for games while also giving back up until Sadiq is fit enough in a month or so.

CF is really one of few areas we don't seem concerned about, so far! 

When Alan Shearer was 21 he only scored 13 in 41 games in the second tier. At 21 Andy Cole only managed 12 in 29 games in the second tier. Ally McCoist managed 8 in 30. By 23/24 years old each one of the above had hit 34 top league goals in a season.

Morelos scored 14 in 38 league games aged 21. We could have a 30+ goal striker on our hands if we hold on to him and develop his goalscoring. Time to get McCoist back in the coaching team?

23 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

It would be cool if we could cool down this thread a little to real transfer activity ...

Bids made for our players are always going to provoke discussion though

6 hours ago, DMAA said:

Come on now, 46 of Morelos's 73 goals were scored in Finland, and the Euro goals all in qualifiers, most against very poor opposition. The Finnish league is roughly equal to the Irish league according to UEFA's coefficient. 

Dembele's goals were in Scotland and the English Championship and 3 of the European goals were against Man City and PSG.

Lets not get sidetracked here comparing our players with theirs but this comparison doesn't really help us value our player, Morelos.

Thank god you are not valuing him.