Pyramid System in Scottish Football

I welcomed the changes that allowed new blood to enter the Scottish league system but I've never understood how it worked at the interface with the non-league structure.

For the sake of argument, let's say Cove Rangers win promotion and Cowdenbeath are relegated. On the way up, no problem. On the way down, presumably Cowdenbeath join the Lowland League. This leaves the Lowland League with one club too many and the Highland League with one club too few. Surely that can't be how it was intended to work? Does the Highland League then co-opt a new club? Does the Lowland League release it's bottom club? Since both have no lower tier feeder structure, that seems unlikely too.

Does anyone know how this is actually supposed to work?

As far as I can make out, they just deal with a change in the number of clubs. At the moment they're still open to accepting new clubs into the pyramid (from the juniors, for example) so altering the size of the league isn't that big an issue.

1 minute ago, Thinker said:

As far as I can make out, they just deal with a change in the number of clubs. At the moment they're still open to accepting new clubs into the pyramid (from the juniors, for example) so altering the size of the league isn't that big an issue.

Then what happens in the league that has an additional club - do all clubs in that league play an additional two games? What then if the same happens the following season and the season after that. It looks like they just said "we'll cross that bridge when the time comes".

This puzzled me at the outset. The Highland League could be nearly empty with a long waiting list for the Lowland League.

The system has been working in England. Any observations from followers of the National League North and South?

Most top-class Amateur teams in Holland don't want promoted to the professional ranks as the costs would be far too high for them and they have better crowds than the lowest prof clubs.