Defend or attack  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer to see from our wing/full backs??

• solid defense, weaker attack
    • weaker defense, solid attack

3 minutes ago, Ser Barristan Selmy said:

Below Aberdeen in the league is all that matters

Well these stats shed a lot of light on why though, which should inform recruitment priorities for the summer.

4 minutes ago, Ser Barristan Selmy said:

Hopefully as few of our players remain next season as possible.

Due the the above I wouldn't quite go with this. We have some decent players further up the field but they've been let down time and time by a very poor defending.

Just now, DMAA said:

Well these stats shed a lot of light on why though, which should inform recruitment priorities for the summer.

Due the the above I wouldn't quite go with this. We have some decent players further up the field but they've been let down time and time by a very poor defending.

Which players do you think are legitimately good enough to be regular starters for us? 

On 12/05/2018 at 09:37, der Berliner said:

That is taking the figures out of context though, isn't it?  We have to play attacking football to break down teams who pack their defences, so obviously we leave spaces in defence. 8 out of 12 teams pack their defences and thus are naturally harder to beat. They usually concede goals when they open up against teams of their footballing level, teams they have to win against. By our standards, the stats have been poor, no doubt. Which is IMHO down to inidiscipline of our fullbacks, a lack of consistency with our defensive partnerships (due to injury and managerial preferences) as well as cover from the midfield and lack of form.  That, and low-key opponents found out how to easily exploit our shortcomings this season without us being able to address this. Something which was hardly a factor in years gone by.

That ... and you wonder where we would end up without the 5 goals conceeded to the Scum, which came at a really low time for the club. Given the games before, it was an outstanding result in various ways.

It's a serious stretch to describe us as a side that players anything resembling 'attacking football'. The fact is we're a woeful side with no discernible style at all. The ball is pushed around the park like a bag of cement. 

15 minutes ago, Ser Barristan Selmy said:

Which players do you think are legitimately good enough to be regular starters for us? 

Well "remaining" and "regular starter" isn't the same thing.

You can't answer that without taking into consideration that we have a limited budget, and the question is do we divide our budget by 15, 10 or 5 players for example. In other words what is the quality vs quantity balance which will improve the starting 11 the most?

I'm of the opinion we need targeted recruitment with a greater focus on quality. Top of that list would be two proper centre backs who most likely cost us a good bit of money. If we had the money I wouldnt mind someone to start ahead of John either.

So I would probably only see 2-3 changes to the starting line-up aside from the defence.

Edited by DMAA

15 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I understand that, but the reason I don't accept that is that we've always done it. That's what the stats show. We've always scored at the very least 76, but we've conceded on average around half of what we've conceded this season.

To add insult to injury Aberdeen pretty much managed it last season with a fraction of our budget.

The bottom line is that we've scored a decent but not great amount but leaked goals like a bottom half side.

We haven't always done it, last season we only scored 56.

Prior to that (in top tier) you'd be comparing the current team against past teams that were full of International players.

What is clear is that vast improvement is required, back to front.

Edited by buster.

1 hour ago, buster. said:

We haven't always done it, last season we only scored 56.

I was bundling this season with last.

1 hour ago, buster. said:

Prior to that (in top tier) you'd be comparing the current team against past teams that were full of International players.

We've had 6 years to rebuild and we've spent a fortune in the past 2 seasons and we're still conceding goals like a bottom half team. As I say, Aberdeen are the proof that we can't make excuses for how poorly we have performed. However one decision is at the root of most of this, the decision to appoint Pedro Caixinha.

Edited by DMAA

In reply to SbS  I would keep both goalies,Tav,John,Jack,Rossiter,McCrorie,Docherty,Candieas,Morelos,Cummings as definites.

Borderline would be Holt,Murphy,Halliday,Alves,Dorrans,Hodgson.

No's Windass,Herrera,Goss,Dalcio,Martin.

31 minutes ago, MacK1950 said:

In reply to SbS  I would keep both goalies,Tav,John,Jack,Rossiter,McCrorie,Docherty,Candieas,Morelos,Cummings as definites.

Borderline would be Holt,Murphy,Halliday,Alves,Dorrans,Hodgson.

No's Windass,Herrera,Goss,Dalcio,Martin.

AFAIK, Murphy is essentially done, since we got him in a "loan & buy in the summer" deal.

Goss, Dalcio, and Martin are loans who will return to their parent clubs, with AFAIK Dalcio already off. It depends on Gerrard whether he wants Goss longer. Windass and Herrera have contracts and we thus would require buyers first.

1 hour ago, DMAA said:

I was bundling this season with last.

We've had 6 years to rebuild and we've spent a fortune in the past 2 seasons and we're still conceding goals like a bottom half team. As I say, Aberdeen are the proof that we can't make excuses for how poorly we have performed. However one decision is at the root of most of this, the decision to appoint Pedro Caixinha.

Over a period of time, McInnes put an Aberdeen side together that had a degree of stability with a relative cutting edge, enough to be put the diddy teams to the sword consistently..........Whilst we have tried to take short-cuts and failed whether that be managerial or player recruitment.

Gerrard needs sometime to build something.

If we expect a footballing ACME kit to arrive in the summer where you add a drop of water and it turns into a Championship winning side, we'll be in for another disappointment.