Murty Back With The Youths

After being hung out to dry it is only right that he is back to his comfort Zone,he was respected by youth players before and there is no need for it to be different now.

Good luck and best wishes to him.:rfc:

30 minutes ago, colinstein said:

I think you are being harsh. He made it clear from the beginning he wanted to stay in the youth set up and did us a favour by stepping in when he was needed. Frankly, we owe him

The guy looked very distressed on a regular basis. Personally I would have thought  a year or six months out would have done him good. I don’t think Its good for him or the club staying on.

I’m not sure what we “owe” him? He was given a job that seasoned managers would run through a wall for. He fell drastically short and wasn’t good enough so was sacked. If he does a good job though everyone is happy. I hope he does?

29 minutes ago, cooponthewing said:

The guy looked very distressed on a regular basis. Personally I would have thought  a year or six months out would have done him good. I don’t think Its good for him or the club staying on.

I’m not sure what we “owe” him? He was given a job that seasoned managers would run through a wall for. He fell drastically short and wasn’t good enough so was sacked. If he does a good job though everyone is happy. I hope he does?

Yet there was hardly a queue round the block to replace Pedro or Murty.....

Officially/technically, Murty wasn't sacked - he has always remained a club employee.  He was removed of his temporary duties as 1st team manager.  The agreement was only until the end of the season.  He has simply resumed his previous position.

Just now, Darthter said:

Yet there was hardly a queue round the block to replace Pedro or Murty.....

Officially/technically, Murty wasn't sacked - he has always remained a club employee.  He was removed of his temporary duties as 1st team manager.  The agreement was only until the end of the season.  He has simply resumed his previous position.

We could get pedantic and day he tried to resign after cup semi as he knew h was out his depth? I’m not berating the guy personally but there are various reasons he should have walked away imo. Good luck to him, hope he does well.

1 hour ago, cooponthewing said:

He should have walked imo. However, I’m not surprised he is hanging on to his role. Their was presumably no other offers so he will carry on. I don’t think all the youths will respect his authority after what’s happened though.

If they don't, I'd kick them out too then.  That's a good lesson for a young player to learn.  They can disagree with the manager, but know the boundaries and don't cross them.  Wallace and Miller would have done well to learn that lesson.  I'm disappointed Wallace is still at the club, and I say that with full appreciation for his previous loyalty.

Murty had to inform the directors of his intent to suspend the players.  NO manager can act unilaterally on matters like that these days and although I have plenty of criticism of Murty's management of the team, this is one incident which he appears to have managed it appropriately.

6 hours ago, Bluedell said:

...although is not something that a manager would normally deal with himself?  Surely he has the power to fine players, suspend them, strip the captaincy, get them to train with the reserves etc?

How often did guys like Walter or Ferguson resort to getting the directors involved?

It showed a massive weakness, in my opinion.

His position was untenable when the chairman was publicly undermining him and he couldn't strengthen his position with results. 

Old pros will smell blood in that circumstance and go for the jugular.  

Which, I think creates a situation where the board have to intervene.

Whether Murty asks for it or not.

13 minutes ago, Crimson Dynamo said:

His position was untenable when the chairman was publicly undermining him and he couldn't strengthen his position with results. 

Old pros will smell blood in that circumstance and go for the jugular.  

Which, I think creates a situation where the board have to intervene.

Whether Murty asks for it or not.

Out of interest, what did the chairman say to undermine him?  I missed that.

Either way, I'd argue that old stupid pros might do that, but the sensible (and respectful) pros wait like a pebble in the river until the dead bodies of their enemies float past them.

Edited by Gaffer