Report on the Rangers Academy

19 minutes ago, colinstein said:

he's a professional footballer. He went for the money and quite right too.  

Quite correct Colin, i just wish he stayed with us for 2 or 3 years then moved, not only would we have had the benefit of what looks like being a superb midfielder but would have given the club a massive payday.

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

Was he? I didn't know that. I thought he was still too young. 

No, he is 16.  He signed for Chelsea on his 16th birthday last year.  I read an interview with him where he said training with Fabregas was like a dream come true as he tries to model himself on Fabregas.

1 hour ago, colinstein said:

he's a professional footballer. He went for the money and quite right too.  

I don't see anyone saying he wasn't right in moving.  You are seeing something that isn't there.

47 minutes ago, craig said:

No, he is 16.  He signed for Chelsea on his 16th birthday last year.  I read an interview with him where he said training with Fabregas was like a dream come true as he tries to model himself on Fabregas.

Ah, right. 

I based my opinion -- that Gerrard wouldn't have made a difference in him staying -- on the assumption that he wouldn't have been ready for first-team football, or even training with the first-team.

I'm still not sure Gerrard's appointment would've made a difference. Do you?

(I don't think he made a wrong decision in moving: it's a step forward for the lad.)

46 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Ah, right. 

I based my opinion -- that Gerrard wouldn't have made a difference in him staying -- on the assumption that he wouldn't have been ready for first-team football, or even training with the first-team.

I'm still not sure Gerrard's appointment would've made a difference. Do you?

(I don't think he made a wrong decision in moving: it's a step forward for the lad.)

No, I don't think he made the wrong decision.  And I also don't believe that it would have made a difference.  Just last week the lad was saying that he believes had he stayed he would have been fine technically but that someone like Scott Brown would be just too physically imposing for him and he would be brushed off the ball too easily (interestingly, one of the Academy coaches told me that is one of Gilmour's strengths, he isn't easily pushed off the ball despite being diminutive).  So... if he has the self-awareness to realise that his current "failings" are physical in nature, then Gerrard's arrival wouldn't change that at all.

My fear for the lad was that he would just fall into oblivion at Chelsea.  3 years ago they had over 50 youngsters out on loan.... so how many actually get the chance to step into the first team.  However, Billy Gilmour seems to have been a mainstay in that U18 team (having missed the first two months of the season due to not getting international clearance, or some other reason, can't recall exactly) and is being given first team training opportunities - which means he is very, very highly thought of.  And if you have seen any of the highlights packages then it is easy to see why - he fits into that U18 team very comfortably.

He is as exciting a prospect, IMO, as Barry Ferguson at that age.  Elfideldo saw BF at a young age too - so maybe he can opine :D

Plus... the sizeable financial carrot didn't hurt either...

A 16 year old moving to London is got to be a major upheaval and you wouldn't wish that on anyone.....but it's the life of the pro.....he'll be moving all over the shop in his career, he'll need to get used to it

you get lots of money but when you think about living in hotels.....Pena I think lived in Holiday Inns, and even Dick, never mind Gazza was in the Cameron house ...posh as it was

then think of Kenny and Boyd in Turkey...Souness there as a manager........it's a shite life....

8 minutes ago, colinstein said:

A 16 year old moving to London is got to be a major upheaval and you wouldn't wish that on anyone.....but it's the life of the pro.....he'll be moving all over the shop in his career, he'll need to get used to it

you get lots of money but when you think about living in hotels.....Pena I think lived in Holiday Inns, and even Dick, never mind Gazza was in the Cameron house ...posh as it was

then think of Kenny and Boyd in Turkey...Souness there as a manager........it's a shite life....

I wish to hell I had such a shite life.

don't we all.....the fantasy of scoring a last minute winner against the tims..........

but the reality is moving around every few years living in hotels or rentals......

a 10 or 15 year window to milk it........some of them make loads of money, some make enough to keep them, some go back to being joiners like Colin Stein, ..or humphing furniture removals like Jinky

lots of workers spend time in hotels.....it's a fuckin' endurance like on a plane journey....