Will all the noise about England having a great chance to win the WC make it more difficult for them to get over the immediate hurdle in front of them ?

The KO phase has seen some teams lift their levels.

Columbia have thus far been a mixture of mediocre and semi-decent. They appear to be there for the taking but scripts have been getting ripped up on a regular basis.......will this be the next ?

4 minutes ago, buster. said:

Will all the noise about England having a great chance to win the WC make it more difficult for them to get over the immediate hurdle in front of them ?

The KO phase has seen some teams lift their levels.

Columbia have thus far been a mixture of mediocre and semi-decent. They appear to be there for the taking but scripts have been getting ripped up on a regular basis.......will this be the next ?

I think Columbia have been good thus far. 

A lot depends on James.

Just now, Rousseau said:

I think Columbia have been good thus far. 

A lot depends on James.

Playing with 10 men, they were good in the first half against Japan. Not surprisingly, faded in the second.

Difficult to say against the Poles, given that Poland gave the worst display I've seen at this WC. 

Senegal should have beat them but like Mexico yesterday, were unable to score. Note that they should have had a penalty in the first half. 

Today is the litmus test for both England and Columbia. It'll be interesting.

I think Quintero is their main man, James has talent but too often flatters to deceive.

7 minutes ago, buster. said:

Playing with 10 men, they were good in the first half against Japan. Not surprisingly, faded in the second.

Difficult to say against the Poles, given that Poland gave the worst display I've seen at this WC. 

Senegal should have beat them but like Mexico yesterday, were unable to score. Note that they should have had a penalty in the first half. 

Today is the litmus test for both England and Columbia. It'll be interesting.

I think Quintero is their main man, James has talent but too often flatters to deceive.

I didn't see the Columbia-Senegal game, but I have been impressed by how they play. 

Very few of main contenders have actually been tested. Perhaps Brazil-Mexico was the only game that through up a decent test. 

James is their main man; he is one of the best midfielders in world football. 

2 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I didn't see the Columbia-Senegal game, but I have been impressed by how they play. 

Very few of main contenders have actually been tested. Perhaps Brazil-Mexico was the only game that through up a decent test. 

James is their main man; he is one of the best midfielders in world football. 

Mexico tested them to a degree but a team who lack quality in front of goal offer a limited challenge. Belguim are another kettle of fish and the quarter will be much more potentially dangerous for Brazil.

I strongly disagree with you re. James. 

1 minute ago, buster. said:

Mexico tested them to a degree but a team who lack quality in front of goal offer a limited challenge. Belguim are another kettle of fish and the quarter will be much more potentially dangerous for Brazil.

I strongly disagree with you re. James. 

Brazil? Yes, their decision-making was poor; they failed to trouble them too much. 

Belgium should trouble them, but I see Brazil really troubling the Belgium defence, which is rather poor. It should be a good game. 

Fair enough, RE James. It's no surprise, though, that in the game they (Columbia) struggled, James went off injured after 25 minutes... :whistle:

2 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Colombia will be blunt up front without Morelos. And England won’t go far without Windass. So I predict 0-0. 

Yes, I'm also surprised Portugal got out of their group without Dalcio.

Japan stole the hearts of football fans around the world with their remarkably dignified response to being dumped out of the World Cup. 

The Samurai Blue let slip a two-goal lead as Belgium scored three second-half goals to reach the quarter-finals of the World Cup. 

West Brom's Nacer Chadli scored the winning goal with the last kick of the game to leave Japan's players crestfallen. 

It was the third time Japan has failed to make the last eight in the World Cup.

The disappointment was obvious, with some of the players falling on their knees in despair after the final whistle, while others were reduced to tears .

Japan head coach Akira Nishino said his players were so devastated by the defeat they just stood around doing nothing in the locker room after the match. "I told them to take a shower," said Nishino.

Despite suffering the heartbreak of such a cruel defeat, Japan players took the time to clean their dressing-room, leaving the Rostov changing area in immaculate condition. They even left a small note reading "Thank you" in Russian on a table in the middle of the room. There were similarly touching scenes in the stands where despondent Japan supporters stayed behind in Rostov to clean the stadium, just minutes after watching their side's devastating defeat.

"We started off very well, but at the end, right at the end, to have conceded a goal like that, it was not expected," Nishino told reporters. 

"We were leading and we were going to win, but I didn't expect this reversal of the result. It was the World Cup, and we were faced with the depth and the strength of Belgium. That's how I felt at the end of the game."

"It might have been a very small difference, but I felt there wasn't anything between (separating) us. The players throughout this tournament were very positive, better than in the past. 

"Even against the likes of Belgium, they were confident.But that little difference has to be filled going forward," he said.

"(At the end) I was questioning myself, whether I had control of the game. We were 2-0 up, and still the score was reversed. It wasn't the players. Maybe it was me who lost control of the game. When the (Belgium's third) goal was conceded, I blamed myself, and I questioned my tactics." 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-cup/2018/07/03/japan-steal-world-cup-hearts-dignified-response-cruel-exit/#Echobox=1530605890