Signings so far - good enough?

4 hours ago, les186 said:

You don't let up do you? All I meant was don't sign Arfield, concentrate on improving our defence.

Only time will tell if Katic and Goldson are better than what we have or had.

And if SG can manage.

I take it that it was you les ? :D  The point has been proven, but let’s let sleeping dogs lie :thup:

Same as any signing, they all are risks.  My point was though.... they have seen what we all have seen in that the defence needed strengthened, and that’s where the money has been spent thus far, and rightly so.

The only ones I know a bit about are Goldson and Arfield. I like the look of Goldson, he looks a proper defender in what little I have seen of him. Arfield looks to me much in the Murphy/Dorrans mould. Decent English pedigree without being top quality or having that spark of genius that can win games from nowhere. Those players however cost a lot of cash well in excess of what we can pay, so hopefully he can improve our midfield creativity from last season.

Katic we will have to wait and see about. Hopefully our DoF has a good eye and he is a nugget we can use for a year or two and sell on for a big fee. I do worry about 21 year old centre backs, they usually have a few mistakes in them, so hopefully these dont cost us and he can grow with a good partner in Goldson beside him. For the fee we paid it looks like Katic and Goldson will be first choice centre backs, so hopefully this is the new Weir/Cuellar pairing!

The SG picks of the 2 boys from Liverpool will be nothing to do with the DoF, so this will let us see how good the new manager is at picking players to fit the way he wants to play. I cant really see Ejaria getting much if any starts, but hopefully can offer something from the bench once he settles in. 

And then we have McGregor. The one real star of our summer business IMO, I am absolutely delighted to have re-signed our keeper. Not only will he earn us points with his performances and saves, his winning attitude and knowledge of what it takes to win at Rangers will be passed on to all in the dressing room, of that I have no doubt. 

Only an obsessive tim would deny we have certainly improved our starting 11 "on paper" with our signings to date, and with some areas still needing improving, it may be that we have more to come, or have to wait until January/next summer to get the team finished the way Allen/Gerrard want it.

Now we just have to go on the park with a better attitude, better tactics, able to change the game with subs if required, and find a consistency that can see us challenge.