Signings so far - good enough?

Not getting too carried away with our signings so far. Agree that better coaching can improve players.

Scott Arfield - on paper very good signing, but also thought Dorrans would be a great signing.

Allan McGregor - will be our No.1 assuming he’s still as good.

Ovie  Ejaria     - know nothing about him, same as 99% on here. Too mutch to expect this young guy to have us challengeing at the top.

Nikola  Katic - dittto

Connor Goldson - has some EPL experience should do a job for us.

Edited by BEARGER

Other than Arfield & McGregor the rest are very much unknown quantities. 

McGregor, if still as good as previously, is worth 7-10 points a season.  Shouls be our #1.

The one thing I am pleased about is the clear, cohesive, way in which Allen & Gerrard have seen our central defensive area as being a weak link and working quickly to get that gap filled - who was it that complained when we signed Arfield that we needed defenders, when the window wasn't even open at that point ??? :D

We still need a creative spark in midfield and at least one, if not two, strikers.  Could probably do with at least one extra body to cover the full backs too, unless we are using Jack there to cover for Tav.

I don't personally think we need a "destroyer" in midfield - I think that Jack, Rossiter and McCrorie are plenty in that area and, more importantly than numbers, I think they are all good enough to play that role.

1 minute ago, craig said:

McGregor, if still as good as previously, is worth 7-10 points a season.  Shouls be our #1.

Just 10 points puts us within touching distance of the top at the end of last season. Throw in a bit more consistency in not needlessly dropping so many points to the also rans and we have a title race.

I know that people will disagree, but I still hope we snatch Cummings. He's the one chap you know will score goals at any Scottish level and has time and ability to become better with better quality around him and better managers than TLB, Warburton, Karanka and Murty. 

McGregor sure will be better in organizing the defence, his goalkeeping is beyond doubt.

Arfield is in the Dorrans bracket. I expected a lo more of the latter, but he was IMHO misused (much like Cummings & Herrera) and then had his injury spell, after which he failed to reach his own standard.

The rest are IMHO the Cardoso or Dalcio unknown quantities. They will sure have quality, but showing that at a new club like Rangers with a totally new game being played can only be determined once we (and they) have experienced it in flesh. 

I very much hope SG and Co. have prepared themselves and the players for the "demands" of the Scottish Premiership, for it will be quite different than what your normal football manager will face. Probably the reason why TLB and McInnes getting away with it ...

We’ve brought in six new signings already & I’ve no doubt there will be more if we move players on. 

The reason we’re bringing in so many new signings is  because the signings made in the past two summers have been mostly disappointing.

The ones we’ve made so far certainty look better quality than previously but it’s unlikely all will be successful. We need a more settled squad & bringing in three or four each summers max. 

2 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

We need a more settled squad & bringing in three or four each summers max. 

Think we need a more settled management team before we will get a settled squad.

6 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Think we need a more settled management team before we will get a settled squad.

I used to say a new manager needs 3 years to get his team together but they don't get that these days. Thank god Caixenha never got 3 years we would have had a diddy team and have been bankrupt. We all thought Alves and Cardoso were the real deal right enough.

All will be revealed when we play Aberdeen in anger on the first day of the new season, but i'd say yes, ( Bar the unknown Ovie  Ejaria) the new players that have been brought in so far, will get us competing at a higher level.

Still like to see a few more of the usual suspects out the door though, as i'm getting the chills just looking at pictures of them at pre-season.