Future strategy speculation

22 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

That goes both ways, craig.  

I like players that fight for the team.  Windass doesn't fit into that category.  He does contribute...but not enough.

This whole "you must be willing to fight for the team" mantra is absolute nonsense.  How often does Messi "fight for the team" ?  Not very often, but you don't need 11 fighters.  You also need footballers.

Windass gets pelters not because of what he does on the pitch, or rather doesn't... but because of his social media presence and because of his "Shhhhhh" goal celebration.

I recall being at Ibrox at the Hibs game where Beaton cheated us... and someone in front of me was absolutely slating Windass for being a "lazy bastard" because he didn't track back to cover the defence... I guarantee you that same supporter held that exact same view all of last season that Windass is a lazy bastard.  What that same supporter did NOT see was Windass, on the occasion he first said Windass was lazy, was actually tracking back and Caixinha, from the near touchline, was remonstrating with Windass to NOT track back....

So Windass was doing what we all wanted him to do.... for his manager to demand he do something different.... and yet, guaranteed, after that game it is certain that fans will believe Windass is lazy.

52 minutes ago, craig said:

Or his ability to contribute to many of our goals....

The chosen blindness of some of our fans when it comes to Windass is almost amusing.

I think the views highlight a general inconsistency.  I sometimes got the feeling that he's try too hard to be amazing, whereas Candeias would just do what needed to be done ie. run at defence & put balls into the box.  Windass woure more often try to cut in & manufacture something - which more often than not failed.

For the record, I like Windass...I think he did bring a lot to the team, but needs to even out the peaks & troughs a wee bit.

48 minutes ago, craig said:

This whole "you must be willing to fight for the team" mantra is absolute nonsense.  How often does Messi "fight for the team" ?  

How often does Messi disappear when things are going wrong?  How often does Messi do nothing while his team are being hammered by an average Celtc side?  I don't care.  I'm a Rangers supporter and I don't want gutless, self-serving posers playing for us.  

Edited by Gonzo79

5 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

How often does Messi disappear when things are going wrong?  How often does Messi do nothing while his team are being hammered by an average Celtc side?  I don't care.  I'm a Rangers supporter and I don't want gutless, self-serving posers playing for us.  

How many Rangers players scored against Celtic last season ?  Windass was one of them.  He played his part, in both the good AND the bad.  But far too many of our supporters are negative towards the guy, particularly considering he was played out of position almost every game he played.  It was no coincidence that his best run of form came when he was played in his preferred "10" position rather than being stuck out on the left wing.

There were far, far worse performers for us last season - but Windass has become our new Charlie Adam.  It is sad when we willingly are negative towards our own players, especially those who actually weren't that bad for us last season.

That left wing has been the graveyard of far too many Rangers careers.

As it stands...................................................

McGregor

Tav - Goldson - Katic - John

McCrorie - Jack

Candeias - Windass - Murphy

Morelos

Edited by buster.

Windass can easily split opinions and does. Yes, he scores goals and provides assists. Yet, even when people doing professional football education (i.e. Kevin Thompson) clearly note that Windass mostly lets other people do the work for him rather than being active and creative - while playing in the creative attacking MF role, some criticism sure is valid. We're not talking Kris Boyd or McCoist here, after all. That is, someone paid to score goals and do little else.

Windass can be a fantastic asset IF you have ball winners who can find him, have teams who like to play football and open up spaces he can exploit. If one can stomach it again, go and watch the last few OF games and see how much work Windass put in there. Closing down defenders, pressurize playmakers and/or creating chances for his fellows. More often than not he left Morelos / Cummings isolated alone up front while waiting for a pass to find him, rather than being active himself.

I would assume that SG noted that and will play him accordingly. I have no doubt that especially in Europe he can be a dangerous tool.

9 minutes ago, buster. said:

As it stands...................................................

McGregor

Tav - Goldson - Katic - John

McCrorie - Jack

Candeias - Windass - Murphy

Morelos

I can't see us playing with two DMs that often, actually. Can't tell exactly what sort of system SG prefers, when and against whom, but he will sure check out the players he has and how best to utilize them for the occasion at hand. In Scotland, we shouldn't play with but one striker up front anyway. Far too easy to defend against.

Just now, der Berliner said:

I can't see us playing with two DMs that often, actually. Can't tell exactly what sort of system SG prefers, when and against whom, but he will sure check out the players he has and how best to utilize them for the occasion at hand. In Scotland, we shouldn't play with but one striker up front anyway. Far too easy to defend against.

Given the lack of forwards we have in the current squad and the seeming lack of urgency to recruit them, I doubt we'll be looking to play two up come the game at Aberdeen.

2 minutes ago, buster. said:

Given the lack of forwards we have in the current squad and the seeming lack of urgency to recruit them, I doubt we'll be looking to play two up come the game at Aberdeen.

Well, the transfer window closes in 9 weeks time. Methinks that Solanke deal will (if at all) go through late in the window. We hardly know whom we are really interested in and a couple of Katic and Flanagan style deals may already be in the making.

As I remarked above, I would hope that we change tactics, formations and players with the task at hand. Not radical, but noteable. Aberdeen will be studied and we will sure look at their main threats. Taking them out of the game will remove their thread considerably, as we have seen before. I took your line-up to be a more general one, rather than for that specific game though.