Steven Gerrard backs Josh Windass to respond to Ibrox jeers

3 minutes ago, Soulsonic5791 said:

When then, do we stop building in allowances?

My take would be that Gerrard needs a season and three transfer windows before we can start upping expectation levels.....aslong as this season sees a significant improvement in terms of League consistency, clear 2nd place and being generally competitive in matches against Celtic. 

It's also probably realistic to say that won't be enough for the majority.

2 minutes ago, buster. said:

Players need gametime and whilst there was a lot of coaching, we haven't played many friendlies to give it a chance for things to be tried out and then further tweaked.

Looking forward to watching the game tomorrow.

Fair shout Buster.

It was noticeable the other night how much Stevie turned to Mick Beale. I can only hope that the message is getting through. 

You (possibly) sound confident. I'm more cautiously optimistic though. I think it'll be tight and edgy.

I'll happily be proved wrong though! :)

1 minute ago, Soulsonic5791 said:

Fair shout Buster.

It was noticeable the other night how much Stevie turned to Mick Beale. I can only hope that the message is getting through. 

You (possibly) sound confident. I'm more cautiously optimistic though. I think it'll be tight and edgy.

I'll happily be proved wrong though! :)

I'll be surprised if it's not tight and edgy but I think we'll get through.

It'll be interesting to see how Gerrard has the team set-up and how the players respond.

2 minutes ago, buster. said:

My take would be that Gerrard needs a season and three transfer windows before we can start upping expectation levels.....aslong as this season sees a significant improvement in terms of League consistency, clear 2nd place and being generally competitive in matches against Celtic. 

It's also probably realistic to say that won't be enough for the majority.

I would agree with that. I'm not expecting 55 anytime soon. A cup would be realistic though imho.

I was meaning that we can't let standards slip. Warburton tried to dilute expectations and he was given short shrift from the support. Although you could argue that he never really 'got it' despite having Weir as a sounding board.

As I mentioned, it's a difficult balancing act. But the moment you start settling for mediocrity that's when it'll start to become the norm. The last two seasons have given us an insight into this (financial constraints aside).

Leaving all that aside though, onwards and upwards.

10 minutes ago, Soulsonic5791 said:

I would agree with that. I'm not expecting 55 anytime soon. A cup would be realistic though imho.

I was meaning that we can't let standards slip. Warburton tried to dilute expectations and he was given short shrift from the support. Although you could argue that he never really 'got it' despite having Weir as a sounding board.

As I mentioned, it's a difficult balancing act. But the moment you start settling for mediocrity that's when it'll start to become the norm. The last two seasons have given us an insight into this (financial constraints aside).

Leaving all that aside though, onwards and upwards.

Beyond the pitch, we have to start 'performing better and more consistently' at board level.

The Warburton split festered and it became a matter of time, months before he went.

The Caixinha appt. and expensive 'independent' transfer exploits was part of "institutional failure" according to AJ

The Murty extension was a fudge that was going nowhere

Currently a fair bit of uncertainty upstairs on various fronts

The Gerrad appt. has to work or I don't know where we go.

ie. it needs to be afforded some patience.

Edited by buster.

WRT Windass.....I think his contribution would be missed, if he wasn't there.  I just don't get all the bad feeling towards him - he works hard & scores goals....what more are folk realistically wanting from him?

Plenty of examples of players over the years that have regularly "gone missing" during games, only to pop up & score or show a flash of brilliance.

Folk also need to take into account the manager/coaches instructions to a player - how does HE expect him to perform??  Certainly players may be told NOT to track back for example.

I think if Windass is played more in a central "free" role, folk mat see a different, more creative side.

1 hour ago, Darthter said:

WRT Windass.....I think his contribution would be missed, if he wasn't there.  I just don't get all the bad feeling towards him - he works hard & scores goals....what more are folk realistically wanting from him?

Plenty of examples of players over the years that have regularly "gone missing" during games, only to pop up & score or show a flash of brilliance.

Folk also need to take into account the manager/coaches instructions to a player - how does HE expect him to perform??  Certainly players may be told NOT to track back for example.

I think if Windass is played more in a central "free" role, folk mat see a different, more creative side.

Perfect example of this was the Hibs game last season (when Beaton cheated us).  Guy in front of me absolutely howling at Windass for not tracking back to help cover.... but at that exact same time I had noticed Windass had started tracking back and looked across to the dugout and Pedro was screaming at him to NOT track back - we were down by a couple of goals at the time, and obviously a man down, but Pedro wanted Windass to offer Herrera support up front - guy in front spent the rest of the game calling Windass a "lazy bastard" - which was clearly not the case - though I guarantee many thousands left that day saying the same thing about Windass.

Windass WAS prepared to track back and help out defensively, but his instructions from the sidelines were to stay up front to offer assistance to Herrera if the ball broke.

Some fans refuse to see any of this though - they have their own set way of how a player should act and react - and it doesn't even matter if the player is following the manager's instructions because said fans need them to be performing their way...… :rolleyes:

23 minutes ago, craig said:

Perfect example of this was the Hibs game last season (when Beaton cheated us).  Guy in front of me absolutely howling at Windass for not tracking back to help cover.... but at that exact same time I had noticed Windass had started tracking back and looked across to the dugout and Pedro was screaming at him to NOT track back - we were down by a couple of goals at the time, and obviously a man down, but Pedro wanted Windass to offer Herrera support up front - guy in front spent the rest of the game calling Windass a "lazy bastard" - which was clearly not the case - though I guarantee many thousands left that day saying the same thing about Windass.

Windass WAS prepared to track back and help out defensively, but his instructions from the sidelines were to stay up front to offer assistance to Herrera if the ball broke.

Some fans refuse to see any of this though - they have their own set way of how a player should act and react - and it doesn't even matter if the player is following the manager's instructions because said fans need them to be performing their way...… :rolleyes:

Aye, trust in “shug”?

17 hours ago, Ser Barristan Selmy said:

I think there's a pretty clear reason why we signed Windass from Accrington Stanley. 

I must confess, I did initially think 'if Huddersfield let him go he'll never make it with us'. Is it unfair to say that he flatters to decieve or is it wholly deserved?

Regardless, I'm pretty sure that he'll be sold if he hits form and ups his consistency levels or if he nosedives and is deemed surplus to requirements. And as much as I don't take to him personally, I hope he does the business and confounds his critics.

At the end of the day, the club will benefit.

Edited by Soulsonic5791