Official: Barisic signs on a 4 year deal

5 hours ago, Uilleam said:

"Keelies" is an old usage (sorry, S7, but it is) which seems to have dropped out of common parlance. 

It's origin, I have been told, relates to the influx of Irish immigrants in the 19th C, and is a corruption of "Kellys". This may be nonsense, but I have never heard another explanation. I stand to be corrected, if anyone has a better account. 

"Weegies" is a term dreamed up by East coast hicks, in a Leith Wine Bar, as some kind of pejorative label. It has, however, never stuck, and is not recognised by the native of No Mean City. Its use is an irritation, like midges, and tells one more about the person applying the term than it does about the person to whom it is applied. 

I always took Weegie to be an abbreviation of Glaswegian - denoting a person from Glasgow.

9 minutes ago, Darthter said:

I always took Weegie to be an abbreviation of Glaswegian - denoting a person from Glasgow.

It is.  It is often used in a derogatory manner though and Glaswegians are known for their sensitivity, so we have to use it sparingly and in a civilised fashion.

Anyway, I'm off for a glass of Merlot, down at the Shore (Leith), with my pal Asquith.

Edited by Gonzo79

3 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

It is.  It is often used in a derogatory manner though and Glaswegians are known for their sensitivity, so we have to use it sparingly and in a civilised fashion.

Anyway, I'm off for a glass of Merlot, down at the Shore (Leith), with my pal Asquith.

There is nothing worse than a poseur with a chip on his shoulder. 

3 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Shit, is it merlot this month? What must they think of me? Tell Asquith I'm sorry but it's so hard to keep up, what with the salon being so busy and all. 

8 minutes ago, Bill said:

Shit, is it merlot this month? What must they think of me? Tell Asquith I'm sorry but it's so hard to keep up, what with the salon being so busy and all. 

It's the Fringe, William.  All wines and liqueurs are de rigueur during the Fringe, dah-ling.

Edited by Gonzo79

1 minute ago, Gonzo79 said:

I'm frae the Borders.  You city folk are all a bit queer, in my book.

For future reference: it's called sophistication. 

You could endeavour to develop it; it would take a few years to establish a patina, a few more for a veneer, and, well, you'd probably be dead before you could lay claim to the full attribute. 

In my time living on the Scottish riviera, I've witnessed a hell of a lot of Weegies, as the sun lures them from their penthouse apartments, with the promise of ice cream, sand, sea and a swally. Sophisticaction is not a word that has ever entered my thoughts whilst witnessing these specimens enjoying their sabbatical.... ?

19 minutes ago, Bill said:

Here's one from 'The Festival Fringe' to make you close the shop. 

Urinal: The Musical? Toilets inspire quirky Edinburgh show

If you’re going to turn the musical on its head, however, you need to have the courage of your convictions. When the first line to be sung in Splashback is, “Oh my God, did he just look at my penis?” performed by two men apparently peeing on the keyboard player, the prospects for a lunchtime of scatological filth are promising. When the same company launches into a lavatorial history lesson (sample line: “Two dinosaurs having a shit”), hopes remain high. But there’s something about musical convention that makes it hard to resist the pull of sentimentality, and the further the likable young performers of Car Crash Productions go into their self-devised show, the more they drift towards songs about looking for love and feeling sorry for the toilet attendant. Sweetly sung though they are, they turn what could be a student-friendly musical of toilet-humour ribaldry into something less distinct. Now wash your hands.

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2018/aug/08/my-left-right-foot-lewis-hamilton-splashback-edinburgh-fringe-musicals

See Edinburgh? See lavvies? See what, ahem, passes for sophistication?

17 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

it's called sophistication

Glaswegians have many positive traits but sophistication definitely isn't one of them.  

Speaking of chips on shoulders, Glasgow voted Yes.  

I'll stick with my Reiver heritage and leave over-sensitivity about rival town barbs to you lot (you should hear what us Borderers call each other - and nobody bats an eyelid). 

As for Barisic, I'm sure his command of English is enough to understand "Clear it!" and "You're shite, pal!".