Is Middleton ready to step in for Murphy?

Assuming Murphy is missing a good number of games which looks likely, should we be signing someone in Murphy's position or should we let Middleton step up?

Currently we have Kent and Candeias with Arfield a more defensive option on either side. Lafferty, if signed, could play there too although I don't think it would be his best position.

I'd love to see Middleton capitalise on Murphy's injury and prove his ability at the top level because I think he's got it! I've been a bit disappointed he hasn't been given a run out. Real pace and an eye for goal too.

I think we're likely to sign another creative player but there's no doubt Middleton is now even further up the queue than before.

Murphy is inconsistent but will be a big creative loss.

IMHO, Middleton is good and old enough to be used on a regular basis. Kent can play across the front line and thus far it was usually a Candeias / Murphy or Kent.

BTW, these last couple of games have shown that both Kent and Ejaria can sure play, but somehow I still have that feeling that we try and fullfil any "minimal playing time" demand from Liverpool as quickly as possible.

We needed players in and if there was any doubt that a creative player was needed then Murphys injury takes that away.

Losing Windass and Murphy (for X months) needs addressed as do other positions.

Middleton is raw and I don't think he's ready for first team football week in week out.

Sub appearences and if he does well,  some starts should be the order of the day.

Edited by buster.

Middleton has shown himself in a very positive light when he's played recently....If his mental state is of the standard required to play for a top team, he'll relish the chance of regular 1st team games & should improve his game.

45 minutes ago, buster. said:

Middleton is raw

You'd assume so at his age but I actually haven’t seen evidence of this. He came on against Shkupi and changed the game. We weren't getting a second goal without him.

Contrast that to Sadiq who looks raw after about 15 seconds on the pitch.

I'm excited to see how Middleton performs in the league. I think he'll flourish in this team and will make us a more dangerous side than we are without him.

Edited by DMAA

1 minute ago, DMAA said:

You'd assume so at his age but I actually have seen evidence of this. He came on against Shkupi and changed the game. We weren't getting a second goal without him.

Contrast that to Sadiq who looks raw after about 15 seconds on the pitch.

I'm excited to see how Middleton performs in the league. I think he'll flourish in this team and will make us a more dangerous side than we are without him.

He deserves his chance to get on the field, see how he goes and go from there.

However, I don't think you can depend on him at this stage for regular football and hence we need someone else in.

I'd agree that Sadiq looks like a fish out of water. I know he needs a chance but who would be confident if Morelos was out, with him starting up front?

9 minutes ago, buster. said:

However, I don't think you can depend on him at this stage for regular football and hence we need someone else in.

I guess Gerrard should have seen enough of him to make this call now, I hope he’s judged good enough. It would be yet another morale boost to Rangers to have an 18 year old breaking into the team. 

Gerrard would have got to know Middleton at the Toulon tournament in the summer and he'd obviously seen enough to trust him with gametime from the off.

It's then down to the player to show he can cope and play.

I think he'll continue to get minutes rather than games.

I think Middleton is good enough to play, but not as a Murphy replacement. SG & Co like our 'wingers' to occupy the half-space, which requires more skill than a typical winger. Middleton is a typical winger.