I know that technically, you canââ?¬â?¢t win ââ?¬Ë?1 in a rowââ?¬â?¢, but please bare with me as hopefully youââ?¬â?¢ll see where this is going. As the 10th anniversary of our fantastic achievement approaches, I thought that it would be a good idea to relive my personal memories of this time, and recount those to the fellow forumees. I will apologies up front for any historical errors, or any dates, scores or scorers that I get wrong my memory isnââ?¬â?¢t what it used to be.

The first game in the 9-in-a-row run was played at Douglas Park against Hamilton Accies and we were eager to dispose Celtic as Scottish Champions. Celtic had won the double the previous season in their ââ?¬Ë?anniversaryââ?¬â?¢ season, a feat that could be traced back to the unfortunate and untimely leg-break suffered by then Rangers captain Terry Butcher. Although confident of winning back our title, I donââ?¬â?¢t think any of the 1000ââ?¬â?¢s of Rangers fans present that day (Aug 13 1988) could have dreamed that they were witnessing the beginning of Rangers writing themselves into the annals of world football and on our way to dominating Scottish football for close to two decades.

Going into the game and season, we were boosted by the arrival of further two big money signings from South of the border in the shape of Kevin Drinkell and Gary Stevens. Drinkell was a bit of an unknown quantity, but quickly proved himself to be a great striker and a fantastic addition to our squad. Gary Stevens was an established player with a wonderful pedigree and showed his class from his debut onwards. I think it is safe to say that we haven�t had a full back of his class since, and it could be argued that he was one of the best full backs ever to grace the light blue jersey.

It was Gary Stevens who was unlikely first scorer of the season (ergo first scorer in the 9-in-a-row season) and Ally McCoist (who else) secured our opening day victory by a comfortable 2 goals to nil. We draw our opening home game of the season 0-0 with Hibs and defeated Clyde and Clydebank easily in the opening rounds of the League Cup. Next up was the first Old Firm game of the season and a chance to put one over the auld enemy and defending champions. The game didnââ?¬â?¢t start well, we were 1-0 down inside 3 minutes, then up-stepped Ally McCoist to bring us level. As the game approached the half-time interval, Rangers won a throw. Gary Stevens throw the ball in, it was headed on by Butcher and Ray Wilkins thundered an unstoppable shot into the Celtic net. After half-time, we destroyed Celtic and ran out 5-1 winners. Greame Souness decided that this was a time for showboating and rather than putting them to the sword he dictated play so we ripped the piss for the last 20 minutes. The game will be remembered for the goalkeeping antics of Ian Andrews, but in all honesty, he was at fault for only one of the five goals. What Iââ?¬â?¢ll remember the game for is singing ââ?¬Ë?Happy Birthday Dear Celticââ?¬â?¢ as the goals rained inââ?¬Â¦.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-bWchIBBbI

Straight after that game, I went on holiday to Florida for 3 weeks and missed a lot of games including the European tie against Katowice and the League Cup Semi Final victory over Hearts. I also missed the next few games as on my return, I lost my Grandmother. The next game I can remember being at was the loss at Pittodrie on the day Neil Simpson ruined Ian Durrant�s career. The game and result paled into insignificance once the seriousness of the injury was revealed. Next up as a 1-0 victory at Easter Road followed by one of the best League Cup Finals I can remember, We defeated Aberdeen 3-2 thanks to 2 Ally McCoist goals and a great strike from Ian Ferguson. So, we had secured the first trophy of the season in a dramatic final and were well placed in the league. It was also the first time in our history that we had won the League Cup in 3 consecutive seasons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaTfJqASNSQ

We were then knocked out of Europe by Cologne and were well beaten by the Germans over the two leagues. This was a major disappointment as Souness had assembled a very decent team and squad and many Rangers fans, buoyed by a couple of encouraging runs under Souness, believed that we were about to make our mark in Europe, but it wasn�t to be.

Our good form continued in the league until we were beaten 3-1 at Parkhead in November and then lost our way a little dropping points to Dundee, Dundee United and Hearts (who outclassed us at Tynecastle). Back to back narrow victories over Hibs and Hamilton didn�t appear to be the ideal preparation for the 3rd OF game of the season. However, once again after falling behind to an early goal, Rangers bounced back to record another emphatic OF victory by 4 goals to 1 with Walters (2), Butcher and I Ferguson getting the goals. If I remember correctly, this was Ian Ferguson�s first OF goal and his celebrations were as wild and enthusiastic as any fans! Due to the hangovers (!!) we then lost the next game away to Motherwell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rj5-8M6yRA&mode=related&search=

We then played Gretna in a game for the Lockerbie Disaster Fund and Gary McSwegan scored in a 2-1 defeat. The next game of note was a 8-0 Scottish Cup victory against Stranraer then a 2-2 draw away to St Johnstone which is notable for the fact that it was Rangers� final game ever at Muirton Park. This was a testimonial game.

The league run in was in full swing now and we powered our way to the finishing line, winning the league from Aberdeen by six points (our 39th League title). The title was wrapped up in a 4-0 thrashing of Hearts at Ibrox and the unlikely hero of the day was Mel Sterland who scored 2 goals (as did Kevin Drinkell). We rested most of our players for the remainder of the season and won only 1 further game, and that was the game after securing the league, beating DUFC 2-0.

We then faced Celtic at Hampden for the chance to secure a historic treble. The game will be remembered for two terrible refereeing decisions. Firstly, Celtic scored from a Rangers throw-in taken by Roy Aitken and then a perfectly good Davie Cooper goal was chopped off when Paddy Bonnar was fouled by his own player. A sad end to the season, but one that Iââ?¬â?¢ll remember for the Tims singing ââ?¬Ë?Mo Mo Super Moââ?¬â?¢ at the final in reference to Mo Johnston returning from French football. However, as the next article will reiterate and history will tell us, it wasnââ?¬â?¢t the green and grey that he would return to Scotland to wear, by the famous light blue.

Cammy F

Great post cammy. Really enjoyed reading with the video breaks in between. only 1 year old when this run started so only really remember the last 2 seasons of the 9 in a row.

One wish i have was to have seen Mr I. Durrant in his prime. My dad adored the guy.

When i reading the daily record phone in rants i had to laugh at some timmy's ones, like.

Rangers and rangers fans should stop going on about past glory's, 9 in a row etc, then the same twat said this, celtic fans don't go on about 1967 and nor do we go on about 9iar even though we did that first.

Guest gerbilly
When i reading the daily record phone in rants i had to laugh at some timmy's ones, like.

Rangers and rangers fans should stop going on about past glory's, 9 in a row etc, then the same twat said this, celtic fans don't go on about 1967 and nor do we go on about 9iar even though we did that first.

Yeah, I burst out laughing when I read that to mate.:) :)

Enjoyable read Cammy, I was only 9 that season but remember those games well - Especially the OF wins and Mel Sterland scoring the first 2 against Hearts at Ibrox.

IIRC you missed out the last OF game of the season (april 89) when we won at Parkhead for the first time in 7 years. Ian Ferguson blasted a 20 yard free kick which bounced off the bar and then a scramble between Bonnar and McCoist resulted in one winner - Ally stumbling the ball over the net!!! :)

BTW agreed about Gary Stevens, we havent had a RB in his class since. We have been blesses with Davie Robertson and Arthur Numan at LB but nothing close to Stevens at RB. But the way Hutton is playing now.......