2 hours ago, barca72 said:

He's developing the defensive part of the game too. I seen him a few times last night running from one side of the pitch to the other side in an attempt to close them down high.
Must be taking that from Morelos. Good stuff.

Is there no end to his talents!

8 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Rubbish.  It’s extremely difficult for a young player to break through at a club who have to win every game.  Some didn’t make it because of injuries, some because of off field issues, some because the pressure was too great.  Boiling it all down to bad coaching is as reductive as it is offensive.

I’d ask you who the dinosaurs were but I’ve had too many conversations with punters who think they know better than managers and coaches who’ve spent a lifetime in the game to bother.  

I will answer. It is common knowledge among the people who follow the youth that Jimmy  Sinclair the old head of youth would only go for large strong players and therefore we lost many young talented players. The style of football he wanted to play also did not match in with the current Rangers Philosophy. He put coaches in place to teach his methods. That is why he was replaced. 

There is no doubt that poor coaching is one of the single biggest factors in whether kids progress in football, the other ones being attitude and discipline.  For years we relied upon methods that were often referred to affectionately as "proper old school".  Most of these coaches were good (or even great) players who failed to notice that the world had moved on around them.  Equally, there are many coaches who either don't have a clear vision, or fail to communicate it clearly enough in a manner that can be understood by the younger players.

The coaching for coaches in Scotland is now excellent, and it attracts many of the world's top coaches and managerial prospects.  It has been highly regarded for around 15 years now.  A big problem we still face however is that many coaches go on the courses, just to collect the badge.  They then revert to their old ways because they've "played the game and know best".  To coach a player from youth to elite level takes time, persistence and consistency.  Too many coaches in our country (and yes, at our club) have been fine footballers, but poor coaches.  If they use the tools and techniques they've been taught, coaches can be effective.  Mulholland and his crew know this thankfully, and if we have some stability at the club for a decade there is no doubt at all we will develop some players good enough for our first team.

As for Middleton, he's clearly developed the right attributes for his age.  You can tell when they've been properly coached because there are some elements to their game that shine through.  He is technically good on both feet, he is aware of his surroundings because he runs with his head up, and he demonstrates he can make good decisions most of the time.  When players get to 16/17, these are key.  There are exceptions to this rule of course, but those are some of the qualities and performance measures that coaches track.

Edited by Gaffer

• 5 months later...

That was a worldy strike.  I jumped up watching that... Composure under pressure, technique...

I think it's clear he is a standout at that level but has taken time to adjust at first team level.   Big pre season ahead for the lad. He needs as many first team games as possible next season

9 minutes ago, stewarty said:

That was a worldy strike.  I jumped up watching that... Composure under pressure, technique...

I think it's clear he is a standout at that level but has taken time to adjust at first team level.   Big pre season ahead for the lad. He needs as many first team games as possible next season

Sadly, for the player, he has quite a bit of competition in his position.

Just now, ranger_syntax said:

I guess it depends where he is used.  I think he could be used as a number 10 or playing just off a main striker could work for him, as last night showed in terms of his technque, touch and eye for goal. 

10 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

I think you're right that there are plenty of players in competition for that place, but if he's made of the right stuff, that'll be the making of him.  If he can't break through in the face of that competition, he's not good enough for us.  If he can, he'll benefit from that experience for the rest of his career.  I like a lot of his qualities and really want to see him do well for us and himself.