6th place Hibs cant catch 7th placed Falkirk.

The SPL must scrap this joke of a split.

P GD PTS

1 Celtic 37 32 84

2 Rangers 37 31 72

---------------------

3 Aberdeen 37 15 62

---------------------

4 Hearts 37 13 61

5 Kilmarnock 37 -8 52

6 Hibernian 37 9 46

-----------------------

7 Falkirk 38 2 50

8 Inverness CT 38 -6 46

9 Dundee Utd 38 -19 42

10 Motherwell 38 -20 38

11 St Mirren 38 -20 36

-----------------------------

12 Dunfermline 38 -29 32

There is so much wrong with the scottish game.

This split should be scrapped along with the League cup. And Dunfermline shouldnt get in the UEFA cup if they lose the cup final next week, that should go to the team in 4th place.

Unless we get a uefa cup place back for the league cup then its a pointless trophy. Even then the winner would likely be a top 4 club.

The league cup should be either divded into a regional competition with the 4 regional winners making up the semi finals. Or better still merge to make a UK cup.

I also say extend the SPL to at least 14 teams and have a winter break in January but instead of no football that month bring back the tennents sixes or play the whole league cup that month,

but after 33 games it gets split into two SEPERATE leagues.

Nonsense, its still the SPL.

Does it become SPL top half and SPL bottom half. For the last 5 weeks of the season Scotland has 5 divisions??

Nonsense, its still the SPL.

Does it become SPL top half and SPL bottom half. For the last 5 weeks of the season Scotland has 5 divisions??

It's just the SPLs way of continuing the excitement level for the title chasing and relegation threatened clubs but in all honesty it's a total farce. More often than not the title is decided before the split.

The SPL are a joke! Bring back the winter break and scrap the split.

So really Falkirk finished 6th and Hibs 7th. Good cause Hibs are shite!

Frazer is 100% right. When you qualify for the top half you cannot finish lower than 6th.

7th place finishing with more points than 6th is to be expected and normal since 6th has to play the top 5 teams and 7th has to play the bottom 5, so nothing remarkable there.

The split is a huge compromise to expand the league to 12 - a stupid concession in the first place. However is it best to have a 10 team league where everyone plays everyone 4 times without much interest in the mid-table, or an 18 team league where attendances and income are low with loads of meaningless and boring games eg St Mirren (11th) against Hamilton (14th).

The split is highly flawed but it does create some much needed drama in the latter stages of the league.

The only way to improve things is to have an Atlantic league.

I think teams like Dundee and Dundee Utd merging would help.

The joke this year was the poor seedings which ruined the symmetry of the fixtures. I think picking the top 6 was easy this year...

I agree that the cup runners up should not qualify for Europe. But outwith the OF the SPL teams are almost always so bad in Europe it won't make much difference...

I've been saying for years that Scotland is not big enough to sustain the number of 'professional' football clubs that we have and that some of them should merge together.

For example, you could merge the likes of Ayr United and Kilmarnock, St Mirren and Morton, all the other Glasgow teams, Airdrie Utd + Motherwell + Hamilton etc

I know is never going to happen but in theory you could end up with just one league of perhaps 16 teams of a decent size who would only be required to play each other twice a season. No relegation would mean that the clubs at bottom of league could budget their finances better as they would know they wouldn't drop any icome by way of relegation, therefore in theory in long run making them more competitive.

You could make keep it interesting towards end of season by making the increments in prize money for each position higher, so that teams would strive to finish as high as possible.

The Scottish league been a joke for years. Teams finishing last but not getting relegated due to 'promoted' teams not meeting criteria, changing rules to look after themselves. And the split is the biggest waste of time ever. Playing each other 4 times also doesn't help and is one of the main things players who leave the SPL mention as a dislike. Also leads to apathy. If there was only 2 Old Firm games a season they'd be EVEN bigger games than they are now. At the moment it is conceivable that SPL teams can play each other at least 6 times in a season, 4 times in league and once in each of cups.

Malky

After the split its still 1 division regardless - i.e. The SPL. There isnt a SPL 1 or 2 after the split.

But agree with Malky, ive also said 4 divisions with 44 clubs is just wrong. There has been a few fairytales with Gretna and Livingston coming through the leagues in recent times but it just shows that the rest (older clubs) will be there for good.

Merging teams is one way I think the game would improve. Id start with reducing it to 3 leagues again as it gives teams that extra incentive. SPL should have 16 teams and 14 in the other 2.

But traditionalists wont merge, they hate the idea. They would rather see crowds of 243 at a Cowdenbeath v Alloa game than boost this towards the four figures. Between Aberdeen and Dundee there are 4 minor clubs - Montrose, Arbroath, Brechin and Forfar - thats ridiculous having them as Professional clubs. They should all merge and be called Angus Utd. Given time and once pride was out of the way all the tradionalists would realise this was the right move.

Why is it that every fan, pundit, player, manager and even the media all over the place can see how bad the Scottish game is but nothing gets done about it and those jokers at the SFA still make a mockery of the game. It needs football men at the top.

I've been saying for years that Scotland is not big enough to sustain the number of 'professional' football clubs that we have and that some of them should merge together.

For example, you could merge the likes of Ayr United and Kilmarnock, St Mirren and Morton, all the other Glasgow teams, Airdrie Utd + Motherwell + Hamilton etc

I know is never going to happen but in theory you could end up with just one league of perhaps 16 teams of a decent size who would only be required to play each other twice a season. No relegation would mean that the clubs at bottom of league could budget their finances better as they would know they wouldn't drop any icome by way of relegation, therefore in theory in long run making them more competitive.

You could make keep it interesting towards end of season by making the increments in prize money for each position higher, so that teams would strive to finish as high as possible.

The Scottish league been a joke for years. Teams finishing last but not getting relegated due to 'promoted' teams not meeting criteria, changing rules to look after themselves. And the split is the biggest waste of time ever. Playing each other 4 times also doesn't help and is one of the main things players who leave the SPL mention as a dislike. Also leads to apathy. If there was only 2 Old Firm games a season they'd be EVEN bigger games than they are now. At the moment it is conceivable that SPL teams can play each other at least 6 times in a season, 4 times in league and once in each of cups.

Malky

The only complaint I would have is that no relegation would really kill the league. Everyone would be playing for the title a CL spot and a UEfa cup spot. Everyone else would be playing our meaningless games almost from the kick off. And I don't think cash incentives would be enough to change that perspective for fans or players.