He`s still learning, but he sure got the appetite and physics for the Scottish "game". He can drift out of games, but when he`s on song, he`s got pace, trickery and a directness we have been missing. The wing department will have Jones, Hastie, Candeias, Grezda, Middleton and Murphy next season, a few of which can fill various roles across the front line. I wonder how Kent would work in a free-roving role. Yesterday we had him, Morelos and Defoe on the field and one wonders how they would play against sides that play more open football, not least in Europe.Perhaps we should scout for another strong yet quick CH so we can play 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 every now and then, as IMHO, the 4-3-3 is not the answer for St. Andrews Brick Society and cost us quite a few points this season.

1 hour ago, DMAA said:

Well the 4-3-3 was the only formation Middleton played in, bar a few minutes at Tyncastle. He'd have done well in the 4-3-2-1 imo.

I value his work rate, it wins us the ball back often. Similar to Candeias. Whilst important it pales in comparison to being good at shooting or playing clever through balls in his position though. It's like a ball playing centre back who's not great in the air. Those are the attributes we've badly lacked in the tough games this season againt deep lying defences, Aberdeen and Kilmarnock especially. You need a player who excels at passing (playing clever through balls) and/or someone who can score from nowhere and finish chances consistently. The latter is a strength of Middletons, he can play poorly but if given a chance is clinical, and can score from nowhere. Barrie McKay comes to mind for the former, a very technically gifted player who was a very good passer and had great vision.

Can't disagree with most of that.

It'll be interesting to see how we go wrt formation when we integrate new players.

Hopefully we'll have players that'll allow us to adapt to situations as they develop.

2 hours ago, buster. said:

If Jamie Murphy returns in decent shape could he take the place from Kent ?

In a 4-3-2-1, a fit Jamie Murphy starts beside Arfield every day of the week. Murphy has real quality in the final third, evidenced by his very impressive stats in a poor Graeme Murty side. His quality makes it far easier for him to move inside. 

In a different set up Kent's pace is an asset, although again for me you'd get more use out of that pace if he is on the right. Get him to the byline cutting it back and his assists stats would shoot up. I actually love a player like Kent playing that kind of role, just not the cutting in from the left role because it doesn't produce.

16 minutes ago, DMAA said:

In a 4-3-2-1, a fit Jamie Murphy starts beside Arfield every day of the week. Murphy has real quality in the final third, evidenced by his very impressive stats in a poor Graeme Murty side. His quality makes it far easier for him to move inside. 

In a different set up Kent's pace is an asset, although again for me you'd get more use out of that pace if he is on the right. Get him to the byline cutting it back and his assists stats would shoot up. I actually love a player like Kent playing that kind of role, just not the cutting in from the left role because it doesn't produce.

Kent's pace is very useful in the 4-3-2-1 as well, when he drives at defences, and that's the one area we'd miss when using Murphy.

32 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

Kent's pace is very useful in the 4-3-2-1 as well, when he drives at defences, and that's the one area we'd miss when using Murphy.

You'd miss the pace yes, and Kent is unpredictable. But for me he has looked a bit lost in that position since we've adopted it. I've noticed far more goes through Arfield because he is so natural there. The prospect of Dorrans and Murphy coming in to the 4-3-2-1 is a pretty juicy one, that is assuming they can get fully fit over the summer.

Edited by DMAA

47 minutes ago, DMAA said:

You'd miss the pace yes, and Kent is unpredictable. But for me he has looked a bit lost in that position since we've adopted it. I've noticed far more goes through Arfield because he is so natural there. The prospect of Dorrans and Murphy coming in to the 4-3-2-1 is a pretty juicy one, that is assuming they can get fully fit over the summer.

Where do you see Dorrans fitting in? On the L or R of the 3?  Is he mobile enough for that?

23 hours ago, Bluedell said:

Where do you see Dorrans fitting in? On the L or R of the 3?  Is he mobile enough for that?

Good question. He's certainly not the most mobile but he has the guile, creativity and goalscoring ability to play in the 2 beside Arfield. Mobility is the obvious concern but if he got fully fit he can more than make up for that with his quality.

1 minute ago, DMAA said:

Good question. He's certainly not the most mobile but he has the guile, creativity and goalscoring ability to play in the 2 beside Arfield. Mobility is the obvious concern but if he got fully fit he can more than make up for that with his quality.

I'd argue that he's too similar to Arfield in that respect. We would have 2 that don't have great pace. Having Kent and Arfield gives a good contrast.

I guess there may be games where it may work, if the opposition is playing a 10 man defence, but a bit of pace is always helpful.