[FT] Rangers 5 - 0 Oxford Utd (Candeias 15; Stewart 32; Mayo 53; Ojo 70; Defoe 89)

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

I thought Halliday looked awful yesterday--that 70 yard run aside! 

Halliday was impressive yesterday and looked far more comfortable than Barasic. Additionally, the body language and sift signals from the other members of the team suggests they trust Halliday, but think Barasic is a bomb scare.

Edited by cooponthewing

42 minutes ago, lenny3k said:

I believe Tom (RTV commentator) said that Murphy wan't playing as they don't want to rush him back from last seasons injury and the friendly against Oxford wasn't deemed as a neccessary risk

40 minutes ago, buster. said:

Thanks Lenny !

Given he was supposed to be about ready for the very tail end of last season that reasoning doesn't give much grounds for optimism.

I don't think Murphy is lined-up to play against St Joseph's anyway, because of their pitch. I think Tom mentioned that too?

14 minutes ago, cooponthewing said:

Halliday was impressive yesterday and looked far more comfortable than Barasic. Additionally, the body language and sift signals from the other members of the team suggests they trust Halliday, but think Barasic is a bomb scare.

I wasn't impressed with either of them. 

A decent LB would improve the squad dramatically. 

1 minute ago, Rousseau said:

I don't think Murphy is lined-up to play against St Joseph's anyway, because of their pitch. I think Tom mentioned that too?

Yes, Frankie cleared it up a few posts ago.

Take away being that Murphy most likely will be unavailable for games at Hamilton, Livingston and Kilmarnock.

No luck for the guy, given the last game of last season and first European and League games for this season are on plastic.

1 minute ago, Rousseau said:

I wasn't impressed with either of them. 

A decent LB would improve the squad dramatically. 

Give them a competitive game or two to show up before writing them off :D

1 minute ago, buster. said:

Give them a competitive game or two to show up before writing them off :D

Well, yes; exactly. 

I'm not writing them off, it just seems like I'm in the minority with regards their showing yesterday. I actually asked above whether it was maybe just lack of match-sharpness. 

I like Halliday; he can do a job, filling in, now and again. And, I still think Barasic has the ability -- somewhere, surely! 

Just now, Rousseau said:

Well, yes; exactly. 

I'm not writing them off, it just seems like I'm in the minority with regards their showing yesterday. I actually asked above whether it was maybe just lack of match-sharpness. 

I like Halliday; he can do a job, filling in, now and again. And, I still think Barasic has the ability -- somewhere, surely! 

Wrt Barasic...Comes down to the management team and at least getting the best out of players / improving them / adding value.

For our business model to be successful, Barasic is the type of player we need to be a success.

That said, only eleven can start in the first team and there will always be those who fade and leave.

Regards recruitment and timing, I think we need to take on board lessons from the double swoop on Osijek....but still maintain that Barasic has the game to be THE outstanding LB in Scotland.

Just now, Rousseau said:

I thought Mayo was pretty impressive. Okay--early days, and it was only a friendly, but I feel he could play a part this season. 

Central defence is probably the one area where we need some more experience IMO.

An injury to Goldson would currently see us with Mayo as back-up to two 21 year olds.