Rangers goals today with VAR

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

It’s touching that you think VAR will be applied fairly quickly in Scotland.

I'm going to ask Sienna Miller for a date.  There's about as much chance of that happening...

43 minutes ago, Bill said:

It’s touching that you think VAR will be applied fairly in Scotland.

I’m happy enough that in matters of fact, like offside, dives, handballs, even the corrupt Scottish refs can’t turn a blind eye if VAR is available. For more opinion based decisions I expect us to continue to get shafted and the tims to be rewarded. 

But it’s better than the current situation where we just get shafted both during the game and with the Sportscene/CO reviews after it. 

On thinking about it it is not really VAR that is wrong it is the uncertainty over the rules. The biggest decision in the LWC was the hand ball issues. That is a matter of interpretation and one referee will give it and another not. I am back to being in favour but it has to be fine tuned.

7 hours ago, pete said:

On thinking about it it is not really VAR that is wrong it is the uncertainty over the rules. The biggest decision in the LWC was the hand ball issues. That is a matter of interpretation and one referee will give it and another not. I am back to being in favour but it has to be fine tuned.

... just as one VAR panel will interpret differently from another. There is no absolute in football.

12 hours ago, pete said:

One rule I would definitely change in football is handball. If it hits you on the hand/arm at all it is a free kick. In the box, its a pen. take away all the deliberate/incidental issues, and make it just like field hockey with the foot rule. It is up to the defending player to ensure that part of their body does not come into contact with the ball. It then becomes a matter of fact and not interpretation, which makes it easier for everyone. 

There might be more penalties and free kicks to start with but players would soon learn to keep their arms out of play.

7 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

One rule I would definitely change in football is handball. If it hits you on the hand/arm at all it is a free kick. In the box, its a pen. take away all the deliberate/incidental issues, and make it just like field hockey with the foot rule. It is up to the defending player to ensure that part of their body does not come into contact with the ball. It then becomes a matter of fact and not interpretation, which makes it easier for everyone. 

There might be more penalties and free kicks to start with but players would soon learn to keep their arms out of play.

It will mean defenders running about with their arms behind their back,and attacking players trying to hit their arms.

As far as I understand it, the rule was never about the ball touching a player’s hand. It was about preventing a player from using his hand or arm to control or manipulate the ball. In my opinion that should remain the basis of the rule. 

In pursuing absolute decisions, based on black and white criteria, we are going to destroy the sport. The problem in Scotland isn’t one of making subjective decisions, it’s about deliberately using that subjective discretion to exercise bias in favour of one team. 

Edited by Bill