I love stories like this. Certainly the area where Ibrox Stadium now sits wasn't developed by the late 1870s although Copland Road and Broomloan Road were both developed and linking Govan Road with Paisley Road by then, and the Ibrox Railway Station was open. We moved to the area in 1887 and our ground appears on the ordnance survey map of 1889. 

I love grounds that are located in the middle of towns and cities. Surrounded by houses and businesses, genuinely part of their local community. I dislike the newer grounds that have been built in the last 30 or so years on the outskirts of towns. I understand why and I accept they've some benefits in terms of access, parking and so on, but they're soulless places pushed to the periphery. Ibrox, for me, is the perfect stadium. A mix of the old and new located in a city surrounded by people, homes, roads and businesses. I know The Hummell Training centre is an impressive facility but it's location isn't, it's miles from our home and overlooking hills and farms instead of the places our support live and work. I'd prefer the Albion was still used, but I accept why that's not practical. 

So it's all more ironic, when you look at the old maps, you realise that Ibrox was that 'edge of the town, middle of nowhere' stadium at first. The city built around the ground, not the other way around. I guess land was cheaper and more available, much like now, the further out you went. We were the McDiarmid Park or the Falkirk Stadium of our day. 

The other thing we often overlook is Govan was a totally separate town when we first moved there. At the turn of the century Govan was one of the largest towns in Scotland, but it was separate from Glasgow in the same way Paisley is today. I wonder how we'd all react if the club announced it was moving to a new stadium, outside of the city at the edge of the green belt.

Edited by JohnMc

56 minutes ago, Briton said:

Apparently the route for Ibrox comes from the old name for badgers; brock. 

Ibrox – Ath Bruic – meaning ‘the badger’s ford’

Ibrox (/ˈbrɒks/Scottish GaelicÀth Bruiclit. 'badger ford', pronounced [aːʰ ˈpɾɯʰkʲ]) is a district in the Scottish city of Glasgow. It is situated south of the River Clyde and is part of the former Burgh of Govan.[1]