Mansfield friendly and u18s game today

56 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

I hope nobody was watching this if you have an interest in our youth development. The gulf was frightening.

I think a lot of our older under 18's were playing for the Development game. These were obviously much younger than MU.

I remember taking a first year under 16 team to a tournament. There was I with all these young small kids and we had to play a team made up fully of Turks. they walked on to the park some with full grown beards. They looked like 25 year olds to me. We lost through strength but I was pleased as technically we were by far the better team. That game reminded me of that.

I only watched twenty minutes of the first half but if our youngsters gained useful experience then it has to be a useful exercise, particularly if they were playing against older lads

Elfideldo may bring us up to date with their ages, but for some reason the English guys seem to be far bigger and stronger .. and  if they are but 17 to 20, they will be at Twickenham in 3 yaesr time, not Old Trafford. Seen similar when we played English sides before  ... bit strange TBH.

Edited by der Berliner

2 hours ago, pete said:

I think a lot of our older under 18's were playing for the Development game. These were obviously much younger than MU.

I remember taking a first year under 16 team to a tournament. There was I with all these young small kids and we had to play a team made up fully of Turks. they walked on to the park some with full grown beards. They looked like 25 year olds to me. We lost through strength but I was pleased as technically we were by far the better team. That game reminded me of that.

Yes, there was also that famous occasion when Scotland under 16s were beaten by a supposedly Saudi team of the same age. It is a mitigating factor for our lads I suppose though today. Not sure I agree that we were technically better though; Manu had some outstanding individuals, namely Galbraith and Laird.

Edited by alexscottislegend
addition

With Flanagan just back from injury, I would assume that those fringe and first team palyers involved yesterday won`t be involved today either, i.e. Stewart, Dorrans, Hastie, Murphy, McPake and Barjonas.

I would assume that Derby will provide the toughest test for our side so far, well into pre-season and after a year of Lampard surely well drilled too.

Victory sets us up nicely for season - manager

Manager John Dempster has said that this afternoon’s 4-2 victory over Rangers under-23s is a ‘nice way to sign off pre-season’ before the ‘business’ starts, with just one week to go until the new campaign begins.
The Stags recorded the win courtesy of four different goalscorers, with Andy Cook, Jacob Mellis, Danny Rose and Otis Khan all finding the net.
The boss says that the win sets Mansfield up nicely in the lead-up to the first game of the new season away at Newport on Saturday.
“It was a decent workout. I thought in the first-half, Rangers moved the ball very well,” he began.
The manager was left impressed by the performances of individuals in Rangers’ side this afternoon, and added that he has ‘marked’ the names of players he may be interested in bringing to One Call Stadium, given the newly-formed link between the two clubs.
“I’d like to thank Glasgow Rangers for coming down today and giving us our last fixture of pre-season.
“We didn’t have a fixture pencilled in, so it was proving quite difficult to get one. I really appreciate Steven Gerrard sending a team down with a nice mixture of experience and youth.
“Looking at the players who were on show [for Rangers] today, they had some really talented players on show that were causing us problems.
“They’ll be marked down by our analyst, Dan [Ashby], and we’ll have a chat with the staff about their players.
“There were some really good performances from both sides today.”
mansfieldtown.net/news/2019/july/gaffer-post-rangers/

An FFer wrote:

Having been at the game yesterday, I'd say that was a fair summary.

I was speaking to one of their directors before the game yesterday and the 4 players he was asking me about were McPake, Hastie, Barjonas and Mayo.
For him to know these players by name, made me think they'd already been discussed about as loan options.
Of the 4, Mayo and Barjonas both had good games, they would easily hold down places in the Mansfield team.
McPake had a few brief flashes and Hastie had a day to forget.
The 2 players who were miles ahead of anyone on the park were Stewart and Murphy.
Thankfully they were only there to get a full 90 minutes and won't be going anywhere.

https://www.followfollow.com/forum/threads/decent-read-from-the-mansfield-game.83288/