Can we qualify from the group of death?

We are still in there with a really decent chance of making it through this group.

So far we have won 5 and lost 2. The 2 defeats were in Ukraine and Italy so they werent places where we expected wins. A point in Ukraine would have made a lot of difference but we were poor on the night.

So we have to look forward to our remaining 5 games and take them all like cup finals. 3 of them are at Hampden so we must get the ground rocking like previous matches against Germany, Holland, Italy and France in recent times.

Id love to get a place in the top 2 at the expence of the arrogant French but we may need them to do us a favour and go on and run away with the group and take points off Italy and Ukraine. They have a slight lead so that could be the best way.

We should have everyone fit for the double header in September. IMO Big Eck must bring Hutton into the team ahead of the poor Alexandra and he has to change Weir's partner at the back. Id personally put Pressley in if he is fully fit against Lithuania but play 3 at the back in Paris to frustrate them and get a point.

Barry Ferguson will miss the Lithuania game due to a booking against the Faroes but one wonders if that was meant so he is free to play in Paris. But our midfield options will be good for the rest of the campaign. We have Ferguson, Quashie, Fletcher, Hartley, MuCulloch, Brown, Thomson, Maloney, McFadden all going for 4 or 5 places.

Our remaining fixtures are:

8th Sept: Lithuania (H)

12th Sept: France (A)

13th Oct: Ukraine (H)

17th Oct: Georgia (A)

17th Nov: Italy (H)

It looks tricky on paper but if we take 1 game at a time its a bit easier. We should beat Lithuania at home if we play good enough.

France away is the sort of game we would have written off but they have only beaten Georgia 1-0 last night at home and we should go there and frustrate the hell out of them. They were disrepectful after we beat them 1-0 by saying "we'll who qualifys at the end and where Scotland will be". 0-0 would be great.

Ukraine at home is the key fixture should we beat Lithuania. A fired up team and stadium should be enough for another 3 points.

Georgia away is a potential banana skin but if we are going there win a chance of qualifying we can get something.

Then we will become the unofficial world champs on Nov 17 :)

I believe we can finish in the top 2 but its going to take one mamoth effort from Mcleish and our lads.

CMON SCOTLAND

Its going to be tough but just got to keep believeing. I agree with Gribz, take one game at a time and if all the teams keep nicking points off each other then anything is possible.

Disagree about Pressley, wouldn't have him anywhere near the team. I'd pick two from Anderson, Weir and Webster. McManus didn't convince me at all last night, never been a big fan.

Midlfield is still looking strong, even without Ferguson.

I think beating Lithuania & Ukraine at home are an absolute must, Italy will be a tall order even though thats a home game too.

Got to say im astonished we're still in the position we are considering the competition in our group.

If we can get two wins and two draws (Georgia away and Italy home) then i would think we would be home and dry.... right?

Very tall order i know, but ive got my fingers crossed. (will be good not to play against Shota an all!)

I think it'll all end in failure with a 4th place finish. Splitting either of the top 3 would be classed as a succesful qualifying campaign because who honestly at the start thought we'd qualify?

An important match for us is the trip to Georgia. If we can get a victory there then that should fire us up for our last game, at Hampden against the Tallies.

Does anyone know Ukraines remaining fixtures? Have they still to play Italy and France in Ukraine?

Its going to be tough but just got to keep believeing. I agree with Gribz, take one game at a time and if all the teams keep nicking points off each other then anything is possible.

Disagree about Pressley, wouldn't have him anywhere near the team. I'd pick two from Anderson, Weir and Webster. McManus didn't convince me at all last night, never been a big fan.

Midlfield is still looking strong, even without Ferguson.

Shite, I meant Webster in with Weir, but id have Pressley ahead of McManus and Caldwell and possibly Anderson also.

We have to believe but after that the players have to do more than believing, they have to go and do the business.

Does anyone know Ukraines remaining fixtures? Have they still to play Italy and France in Ukraine?

They have a game in hand:

Georgia (away)

Italy (home)

Scotland (away)

Faroes (Home)

Lithuania (away)

France (Home)

They have a game in hand:

Georgia (away)

Italy (home)

Scotland (away)

Faroes (Home)

Lithuania (away)

France (Home)

Their next 3 games are tricky. Georgia will give them a tough time, they could take something off Italy and get a gubbing off Scotland at Hampden. A draw between Italy and Ukraine would be a great result for us.

Their next 3 games are tricky. Georgia will give them a tough time, they could take something off Italy and get a gubbing off Scotland at Hampden. A draw between Italy and Ukraine would be a great result for us.

Aye, just hope Georgia turn up though coz they dont have anything to play for. If Ukraine dont win in there next 2 then thats magic for us if we can beat Lithuania. And if Italy draw with France and Ukraine in there next 2 things would look great.

But Im not going to look that far ahead, I just want 3 points at Hampden in the next game.

My optimism is that we make a great fist of it, a good chance of ending in our usual glorious failure, finishing a close third behind the two best teams in the world. But then consolidate our high FIFA rankings position and become a second seed for the UEFA championship qualifiers, by which time our best crop of young players for a generation have matured a bit, allowing us to qualify and do well...