Rangers 1 - 0 Kilmarnock (Morelos 65)

1 hour ago, alexscottislegend said:

I really hope we don't 'have a go' against the Keltic. I'm sick to death of seeing us play well and lose. Hope we get outplayed for 90 minutes then we nick it with Morelos scoring from a blatantly offisde position in the 93rd minute.

Only way to beat them is to take the game to them. FC Cluj did it in the CLQ 2nd leg at the giro dome early in the season where they had to beat them after drawing the first leg 1-1.

2 hours ago, craig said:

In an era when it was a much more level playing field.

An era when Scotland produced world class players and most teams no matter where they were from fielded sides predominately or even entirely filled with nationals. Rangers fielded 11 Scots in the 1972 ECWC final while Dynamo fielded 11 Soviets.

In that seasons European cup final between Ajax and Inter Ajax fielded 10 Dutch and 1 German while Inter fielded 10 Italians and 1 Brazilian.

Fast forward to this years Champions league final contested by two English teams who fielded starting elevens which had just 6 Englishmen in the 22. Totenham had 4 while Liverpool had only 2.

15 hours ago, alexscottislegend said:

I really hope we don't 'have a go' against the Keltic. I'm sick to death of seeing us play well and lose. Hope we get outplayed for 90 minutes then we nick it with Morelos scoring from a blatantly offisde position in the 93rd minute.

If we play as well as last time we will probably win.  You don't really think we didn't win because we played too much good football do you?

Edited by Briton

15 hours ago, Bluedell said:

Not sure what your point is.

Where would we have got to in Europe in 2008 by adopting a more attacking game?

I don't except that we were as negative as most of the Scottish teams we play and when it comes down to it their boring, time wasting, cart horse football rarely brings results. 

28 minutes ago, Briton said:

I don't except that we were as negative as most of the Scottish teams we play and when it comes down to it their boring, time wasting, cart horse football rarely brings results. 

My recollection was we were exactly as boring, negative and anti-football as we see from the likes of Killie in our Euro run of 2008. Our tactic from our own bye kicks were to launch it high to McCulloch on the wing at the halfway line and we didnt actually care if we won the ball or not, just that we were not going to be exposed on the counter if we lost it. This was well documented and admitted by Walter, and it frustrated the hell out of most of us at the time.  

One difference is that each of those ties for Rangers were pretty much life and death as far as progress in the tournament was concerned. Killie wont be ejected from the league for going to Ibrox, having a go and losing.

They still lost anyway and at the end of the day it's probably not going to have much of an effect on where they finish.

3 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Getting a point at Ibrox may have seen the interim manager get the job permanently though.  

Perhaps but presumably they will concede he did a great job of being an unentertaining spoiler? And if that's what they want he's their man. 

23 hours ago, Tannochsidebear said:

My recollection was we were exactly as boring, negative and anti-football as we see from the likes of Killie in our Euro run of 2008. 

We know Smith was a limited manager but we weren't as bad as the likes of Killie, Hearts et al.  I don't remember us wasting time from the off for one thing.