Team Talk For Sunday

19 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

There isn't a difference between tight defence and blatant thuggery?

What's this blatant thuggery you speak of ?  Being hard but fair is all part of the game - it's supposed to be a contact sport, not a snowflake sport

18 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Really? You seriously think this is a pertinent remark in the context of this thread? It's the usual worthless talking to be talking while saying nothing with any worthwhile content I have come to expect from you. But go ahead, let me see the attempt to validate it before I point out the pointless inane nature of it.

You were the one that mentioned thuggery and Gonzo gave you an example of thuggery in the game - or are you suggesting that your avatar isnt an example of thuggery in football ?  Again, all rather contrarian to me.

Harsh but fair is considered thuggery, but swinging a punch at an opponent is considered irrelevant..... there you have it, I suppose :rolleyes:

16 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

You're clearly so far gone in this talk just to be talking contrary bubble you don't even know when you're doing it. Nor when it plumbs new levels of pointless absurdity.

We have an opposition manager openly talking about intending violent play in an upcoming match. What it amounts to is admitting an intention to be deliberately violent which will include a real risk of seriously injuring our players. Intentional risk. Instructions of the manager.

And you, contrarian genius that you are, equate that to a one off heat of the moment incident. Do we have a manager instructing players to go out there and punch opposition players? If we do they're miserably failing to follow instructions because it's a rare event.

And when the incident you're trying to equate with deliberate thuggery occured it was a response to deliberate thuggery. A response I myself may have carried out in the heat of the moment.

But not on instruction from the manager nor a preconceived personal plan. And a response the manager would have given me a dressing down for given the risk of being red carded. He would not have either instructed it nor praised it when it did happen. And neither would I. I have always complained about the retaliation of Alfie. And Kent too when he was red carded in France.

Is all that anything like the preconceived thuggery our players face? A preconceived thuggery not just condoned but actually ordered by opposition managers?  

What are you? A Manchurian candidate who would even suggest far less think that's anything like preconceived planned thuggery on the team you're supposed to be supporting? On the basis of a comedic avatar of a punch being thrown at an individual so many would like to punch but in no way suggests this should be a common event? Well it appears you actually are suggesting it.

Suggesting there's any similarity between the non stop fouling and attacks the opposition inflict on us weekly on their managers instructions? I could say unbelievable, but given the source I wont.

Now you go ahead and ramble some further pointless nonsense just to be talking and carrying on an obvious bizarre obsession to be contrary to me. In your contrary world there must be some weird creatures around here if you think avatars are to be considered the source of celebration.

spacer.png

My oh my - can you say where Holt says anything which is "openly talking about intending violent play" - utter nonsense.  You need to sometimes actually read what has been said rather than trying to fit everything into your neat little narratives.

On 12/08/2020 at 18:32, CammyF said:

Livingston manager Gary Holt: "I said before the game that we needed to get back to getting in people's faces, do the ugly side of the game, and you'll get your rewards. We got that tonight.

"Rangers come to us on Sunday and they'll know they've been in a battle.

And I am going to quote the OP just so we can see the exact words we are considering here.

There isnt ONE word which suggests violent play, not one.  

I remember growing up watching Football Italia on Channel 4 and you had defenders like Franco Baresi.  We all know he was one of the greats but a huge part of his game was the 'dark arts'...being dirty but very clever about it.  Fouling forwards but not giving away fouls. I'm not comparing the Livingston players to him or Holt to the great Italian managers but it's all part and parcel of football, particularly if a team are facing superior opponents. 

When you watch British football from the 70s and 80s compared to now, it's night and day, in terms of the dirty side of the game.  I get the impression some people want it to be a non-contact sport played by a bunch of fairies.  The same sort of people who want supporters to sit down, behave and never say anything nasty.  It's a man's game - or at least it was.

Like SG, I have no problems with Livi (or any other team for that matter) being aggressive, in fact, I want Rangers to be aggressive, but has to be in the correct manner.

Our management team and players will be aware of Holt's words and I am sure they'll made aware of the tactics Livi will employ tomorrow and we can use that to our advantage  - that was the reason for the OP. 

Hopefully the mana gement team will remind the officials of their duty tomorrow to ensure that the aggressiveness doesn't cross the line into nastiness and thuggery (no laughing at the back).